What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
During the 1970’s, the blaxploitation genre rose to prominence with films like Shaft (1971), Black Caesar (1973) and Foxy Brown (1974), establishing new stars and drawing in considerable box office. However, there were some filmmakers who felt that the black experience wasn’t really given the faithful representation it deserved; enter Claudine, a film that made the effort to go beyond the blaxploitation genre and offer a realistic portrayal of black life, especially the family unit. Previously released on DVD by Fox, Criterion has licensed the film for its Blu-ray debut.

Claudine (1974)

Released: 26 Jun 1975
Rated: PG
Runtime: 92 min

Director: John Berry
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Cast: Diahann Carroll, James Earl Jones, Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs, Tamu Blackwell
Writer(s): Tina Pine (original screenplay by), Lester Pine (original...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Another terrific review, Mychal. I am going to pick this up at the next Criterion Flash Sale or Barnes and Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for an insightful review. I don't know that I would classify a film anchored by a single mother of 6 and dependent on welfare as a "faithful representation" of black life in America, even at the time this film was released. That doesn't mean it can't be decent and heartfelt and with a cast like the one on display here, it is definitely worth the purchase price for posterity alone.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I doubt at any time in James Earl Jones' career did he ever expect Claudine and The Lion King to be under the same corporate kingdom. They also own Julia, now that you mentioned it.

I hope this means the Fox/Criterion licensing deal continues further.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks