What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
To help commemorate the film’s 35th Anniversary and as a tie-in to the upcoming theatrical release of Blade Runner 2049, Warner Bros. has released Blade Runner: The Final Cut on 4K UHD Blu-ray, utilizing the 4K digital intermediate and upgrading the audio to Dolby Atmos. Although there has been some confusion over what special features were supposed to be included in this multi-disc set (due to a packaging error), the transfer alone validates an upgrade to this release.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Correction: the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray does include the workprint version (I just checked mine to make sure).
You may be correct, and I will update my review as soon as Warner sends me the corrected Blu-ray Disc 2 for this set to confirm.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
You may be correct, and I will update my review as soon as Warner sends me the corrected Blu-ray Disc 2 for this set to confirm.

There's no may about it. Craig is correct. Disc 3 of the 30th Anniversary release, which is a Blu-ray disc not a DVD contains the workprint version along with the Dangerous Days doc and other special features.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
There's no may about it. Craig is correct. Disc 3 of the 30th Anniversary release, which is a Blu-ray disc not a DVD contains the workprint version along with the Dangerous Days doc and other special features.
And like I said, I will update my review once I receive the corrected disc from the studio.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
And like I said, I will update my review once I receive the corrected disc from the studio.

From your review:

Five years ago, Warner re-issued much of that same material in a 3-disc Bliu-ray digibook as a 30th anniversary edition, keeping the four theatrically released versions (over two discs) and combining the two discs of supplementary material on to one Blu-ray, yet deleting the workprint version.

This is incorrect. You aren't referencing the new 4K set at this point in your review; you're referencing the 30th anniversary set from five years ago, which has nothing to do with the new 4K release, and does in fact include the workprint version. Any disc from the 4K set, corrected or otherwise, isn't relevant.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Regarding this 4K/UHD release is that all the material on Blu-ray Disc 2 is either in 480i or 480p so it really doesn't make a difference if it's on a Blu-ray or DVD. Hell, I'll just keep the 2007 BD Release with the Workprint in 1080p on Blu-ray along with all of the Bonus Material that is on DVDs. Selling it isn't going to give me much in return so it's basically sunken cost anyway.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, during my viewing of this 4K/UHD release my disc froze for about 30 seconds at the 63 minute 12 second mark before continuing on. Layer change???? Anyhow, as impressed I was about the video of this disc, I was more impressed by the Dolby Atmos track. I just had an audio calibration done the other day so this was my first Dolby Atmos soundtrack that I heard in its entirety since then. It was fantastic!

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Watched on the 940E this weekend, loved it and the HDR was used well in many spots. Between Fifth Element and this in UHD, they are going to get me to spend a lot of $$$ on UHD oldies.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I ordered late after the amazon delay and I still got the dvd disc three. Wtf wb? Emailing for the replacement.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
screening at Seattle Cinerama starting 9/29

BRUN.JPG

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
By the way, during my viewing of this 4K/UHD release my disc froze for about 30 seconds at the 63 minute 12 second mark before continuing on. Layer change???? Anyhow, as impressed I was about the video of this disc, I was more impressed by the Dolby Atmos track. I just had an audio calibration done the other day so this was my first Dolby Atmos soundtrack that I heard in its entirety since then. It was fantastic!

Are you using in ceiling speakers with your Atmos system or Atmos enabled speakers that use ceiling reflection?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

I just experienced a big problem at about 69 minutes as Rachel and Dekard go to his apartment. Freeze up, stuttering, pixelation.....I could not get it to play through that section, and gave up.

The player is a Sony X800, which has had some reports of QC issues, but I have played one other 4K disc and numerous DVDscand BRs without issues. The disc did have a coupe finger prints, and a couple minor smudges toward the center, but nothing that I would expect to cause issues.

Hard to say if it is the disc or the player, but I will play around with it tomorrow and see if it is repeatable.

Update: I cleaned what little finger prints and smudges I could see, selected the chapter before the problem area, and it played through to the end without problems. I suppose that proves nothing, other than the problem was not directly repeatable.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So I just ordered this and I think my discs are messed up. Recieved the 4k disc and discs 1, 2 and 4 of the old Ultimate Edition set. Is this right or do I need to contact Warner Bros?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So I just ordered this and I think my discs are messed up. Recieved the 4k disc and discs 1, 2 and 4 of the old Ultimate Edition set. Is this right or do I need to contact Warner Bros?
Good question, and one no one at Warner Bros seems to be able to answer, unfortunately. The studio really botched the special feature discs on this release.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Good question, and one no one at Warner Bros seems to be able to answer, unfortunately. The studio really botched the special feature discs on this release.
Greeeeat. Well at least I've got the old 2007 set.

EDIT: Disc skips @ 22:34. 30 seconds lost. Should I contact Customer service?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks