What's new

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Finally saw this movie with my daughter. We liked it, but didn't love it. My rating: B

One tiny issue I have with it is the whole concept of an inherited monarchy as a good form of government, in what's supposed to be almost a utopia. I have the same issue with Avatar, actually. Having lived under a corrupt military dictatorship in Nigeria for five months in the 1990s, that experienced seared into my mind how important it is to have free and fair elections for government. As Winston Churchill once said: “democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.” Yes, I know, these are just fantasy movies....

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ryan Coogler and Joe Robert Cole were recently interviewed in the New York Times. Among other things, they discussed what the original version of the script, which would have starred Chadwick Boseman, was going to be like.

Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall. But I thought it was still worth posting for anyone with access.

Edit: Here's a link to a free Deadline story that repurposes some of Coogler's quotes.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will arrive on Disney+ on February 1.

Wakanda Forever Disney+.jpeg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't understand why they "announce" these things. Now anyone who may have been thinking about going to the theater knows they can just wait a month if they have D+

I'd think they'd just quietly slip it onto the service without a lot of fanfare, then promote it at that point.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone who haas Disney+ knows that it is coming there soon anyway. I don't think formalizing the date makes any difference.
I would think it would annoy theaters, at a minimum. Probably doesn't make a big difference, but a few more customers that may buy concessions could help the bottom line.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think with the way theatrical attendance works these days, if you were going to make a point of seeing Black Panther in theaters, you already saw Black Panther in theaters. That’s why they spend hundreds of millions in promotion - to drive everyone out in those first ten days. They get 90-100% of the revenue in those first two weekends, and only 50% of it now - I doubt they care much.

If anything, this may spur a few people who were thinking about catching it again in theaters to do so now before it’s too late.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm not saying they're right, or that I agree with the strategy that I'm about to lay out, but I am guessing this is what they're thinking when they announce "BPWF coming to D+".
  • Those who would "casually" come to see BPWF in the theaters are probably few and far between by this time given the amount of time since it hit the theaters.
    • Additionally, it's been displaced by Avatar in most of the large/marquis screens
  • Given that, those who were intent on seeing it in a theater (want to do the big screen experience and maybe were just waiting for it to be less crowded) at this point are likely still going to go.
  • Disney+ has been losing money so they're hoping that announcements like this will capture some of those who were "casually" considering seeing it this late in the game may turn into new D+ subscribers. They may sign up for BPWF but then find out they like other D+ programming.
Just my guesses.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The theatrical-to-streaming window on Wakanda Forever will be 83 days (Thursday "preview" shows on November 10 to February 1.) Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was on Disney+ after about 48 days and Thor: Love and Thunder took about 62 days. This is the longest theatrical window they've had in a while, and Disney waited until after the traditionally busy Christmas and New Year's stretch of time to announce the streaming date. I doubt very much that the theater owners are upset about this.
Additionally, it's been displaced by Avatar in most of the large/marquis screens
I think this matters a lot to big fans and probably not so much casual ones. I saw Wakanda Forever twice on my local premium screen before Avatar came out. The second time was the day before Avatar came out. I chose to go back then specifically because I knew I wanted one more premium viewing.

My mother, who might go to a couple movies a year, doesn't care what size the screen is. She wanted to see Elvis and went in the premium auditorium because I wanted to see it there and we went together. She would not have cared at all to see it on a smaller screen if I hadn't insisted on seeking out the premium presentation for myself.

Incidentally, I have a friend who has decided that he will not go to the theater except when it is at the largest IMAX theater in the region. He missed Wakanda Forever before that screen was taken over by Avatar and has been waiting since. There is nothing Disney could do to get his box office dollars for Wakanda Forever now anyway. So whether he knows it will arrive on February 1 or whether they dropped it as a surprise is irrelevant.

Is there a Blu-ray 4K release date yet?
No, but Disney+ usually goes first.

Eternals was released one week earlier in 2021 than Wakanda Forever in 2022. Eternals came to disc on February 15, 2021. Therefore, I'm guessing the disc will probably arrive on February 21. But Disney has not confirmed that. I could be wrong.

Belated edit to correct a typo.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a welcome surprise. Disney+ is premiering an original series called Voices Rising: The Music of Wakanda Forever on February 22. I was expecting an Assembled special, but this is the first time they've ever had a multi-episode series specifically dedicated to the music.

I love the score and think Ludwig Göransson did an incredible job with it. I've listened to the score album a lot since seeing the movie and it is certainly among my favorite scores from last year. So I will definitely watch this.

A physical CD release for the score (not just the pop album) would be welcome too. But they won't do that. But they should.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anybody else been listening to "Wakanda Forever: The Official Black Panther Podcast?"

The first episode of this was released back in November and features a lengthy interview with Ryan Coogler. Then they paused and came back last week. The first episode with Coogler was spoiler-free because it was released before the film, but I think they waited until now to start rolling out the rest of the episodes because they can talk spoilers now.

Each week includes different in-depth interviews with the cast and creative talent behind the film, hosted by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

You should be able to find it on all major podcast platforms, and it's free. I use Apple Podcasts myself.

This is some of the most informative behind-the-scenes information I can remember for a Marvel film. It goes well beyond the typical promotional stuff that they do and is a legitimately fascinating discussion of the process of putting this film together. I highly recommend it to anybody interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks