What's new

Black Hawk Down R2 2-disc SpEd Mini Review....... (1 Viewer)

Declan

Second Unit
Well got this today. Love the film. Have had the r1 since it came out and was waiting for a SpEd.................and it's a good one. Before anybody starts I know that the next r1 will be a 3 disc as well as the French (I think) version that is out in October. Both will have the documentary about the raid which was on the Descovery Channel, which lasts an hour and a half. The is another feature length doc on it as well, although I am not too sure what the subject of it is..........maybe about how the conflict in Somilia came about.
........anyway..........
The R2 version.
Now there seems to be some extras mising on this.
Here is a list of extras that were on the r2-project.
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4400
the list of extras they got included:
Disc One
Audio Commentaries
Director Ridley Scott & Producer Jerry Bruckheimer
Author Mark Bowden & Screenwriter Ken Nolan
Task Force Veterans
Trailers and TV Spots
Filmographies
Disc Two
Bootcamp Featurette
On Location Featurette
Black Hawk Helicopter Featurette
Visual Effects Featurette
Tribute To The Fallen Featurette
Deleted and Alternate Scenes
Multi-Angle Sequences
Image & Video Galleries
Mark Bowden Interview
Production Design
Storyboards
Multi-Angle Storyboard / Shot Comparisons
Ridleygrams
Camera and Lens Tests
Unit Photography Montages
Continuity & Costume Polaroids
Photos By Jerry Bruckheimer (W/ Bruckheimer Commentary)
Production Interview Archive
Post-Production Interview Archive
Animatics And Vfx Tests
Poster Art & Print Ads
Premiere Footage
What WAS on the discs are:
Disc One
Audio Commentaries
Director Ridley Scott & Producer Jerry Bruckheimer
Author Mark Bowden & Screenwriter Ken Nolan
Task Force Veterans
Filmographies
Disc Two
the disc is divided into 3 sections:The essence of Combat: making Black Hawk Down",Image and Design and Deleted and Alternate Scenes
The essence of Combat: making Black Hawk Down"
Getting it right: Stories and Characters
Crash Course: Military Orientation
Battlefield: Morocco on location
Hymn to the fallen: Film Score
Digital Warriors: Visual effects
After action report final thoughts
Image and Design
Designing Mogadishu
Production design Archive.
Storyboards
Ridleygrams
Jerry Bruckheimer's BHD Photo Album
Photo Galleries
Title Design Explorations
Deleted and Alternate Scenes
there are 8 I belive you can see. Most notable are the alterante opening and ending.
now dont get me wrong this is a great selection of extras. But I love seeing how a film is marketed and thought the trailers for this movie were terrific, so I was a bit annoyed they were'nt on it.
But for me (as a fan of movie photography) I was really looking forward to the Camera and lens tests featurette. As well as the Mark Bowden interview. I suspect these will appear in the 3 disc version (so looks like i'm buying this movie for a 3rd time).
Now I have only looked at two of the extras on this. The Hymn to the fallen: Film Score and Digital Warriors: Visual effects featurettes. Both of which are great. To be honest all the extras on this disc (i've skimmed through and will post up full reviews of each when I get the time) are not filler. Well put together and very informative, especially the digital warriors doc.
Well that was the extras disc......so how does disc 1 stand up against the extras bare r1 version.
The picture was identical to the r1. Excellent, great detail, colours and deep blacks. Film grain is there in certain shots. But it is the style. So as a representation of the original print, this is a winner. Some people may dissagree, but I think that if the picture quality represents it original form then it is a dead on transfer. For the record I saw no shimmering of fine details such as grills on the hummvies. Edge enhancement you say.......sorry could'nt see any at all, very clean picture.
Plus it has the theatrical burnt in subs. To which the r1 had ugly yellow ones that went over the lower black bar, just a bad move doing that.
Plus I thought the sound was better defined on this one. Better surrounds and bass. It sounded alot more open with the various gun battles in the streets. I also noticed when super 61 (the first BlackHawk) gets shot down and hits the ground, more detail with debri in the rears. I had this up loud I have to say. Reference level on my amp is -30db.......I had it at -20
L O U D. Hans Zimmers score (along with Lisa gerrards vocals) spread through out all five channels and really surrounded you, great stuff and a reference 5.1 track..........now if only I could get a bigger room so I can put ibn that centre rear. I had the amp in THX 5.1 mode for this as always.
Might take a look at one of the commentaries tonight.
cant wait to hear Ridleys comments on this one.
for a more professional review check r2-projects review of the disc.
Disc 1
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4619
Disc 2
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4619
there my first ever review........... was it good or bad?
Charlie de Luzaria if you have any comments I'd love to hear them.
Declan :)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Charlie de Luzarika did already mention that the specs that the R2 Project posted were not accurate. I believe he said the specs were based on an early proposition.....

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that whatever Charlie turns in will be "all that it can be" given time, money, and the other factors that usually get in the way :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I got this today. WOW! The 2nd disc was jampacked with extras.
About half an hour of deleted scenes, and the documentary lasts 2hours and 29mins!
Longer than the film! You can watch it in 6 parts or play all. Must be the longest movie documentary on a dvd so far.
Plus art galleries, photo galleries and more. I was plenty impressed.
Worth buying the dvd just for the extras disc alone (forget the first disc, just contains the movie).;)

Declan

Second Unit
I have listened to about 70mins (so far) of Ridley's commentary and it's a good one (as usual). Mostly he goes into the politics of trying to secure the actual Black hawk Helicopters for the film. As well as the politics of the actual film (why the Americans went in to Somalia, etc). Jerry Bruckheimer does'nt really say that much and the two of them appear to be recorded separately, which is a shame but most likley down to shedule clashes as to why they could'nt be recorded together.
The deleted scenes are also very good and well put together. Scott's comments as well are well done and he gets his points accross clearly.
The most exciting part of the extras (for me) was the doc on filming on location. Very exciting as you watch all the chaos being orcistrated. You can see the actors really excited about having to play soldiers (especially William Ficnter, who you could listen to happily down the pub for hours about the making of the film). The other great part of this doc was when the (actual) Rangers were doing the incursion into the city. Amazing to watch......would have been ssssssooooooooooo cool to see that in person. Lastly it was great to see the actors talk about Ridley Scott (Jason Issacs facial impressions of him drawing storyboards are hilarious). The man looks so damn calm directing it's unbeleviable. Great doc and one which I will most certainly watch again. Now still a few more to go...3 I think wooo hoo :D
Lastly there is an easter egg (descovered by Mr. Stamper on MichaelBay Forum) on the first disc. On the commentaires menu go to the writers commentary and select "on" , then press "right" and a door will be highlighted. This then gives you a sometimes very funny essay on what (and what NOT)to say during a commentary.
Great stuff.............and I'm not even half way through the set yet. Brilliant.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I understand R1 version is gona be even more loaded, possibly 3 discs?
But what there is now on R2 is already great!

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Charlie de Luzaria if you have any comments I'd love to hear them.
My only comment is...OUCH!!! How you've butchered my family name!!! ;)
Oh, and I'll also add this: Yes, the original specs announced for R2 were way off. Whenever I start production on a DVD, I usually write out a brief proposal for disc content -- and I generally take an "everything including the kitchen sink" approach. The announced (incorrect) specs look very similar to one of my early proposals. It's actually quite common (in my experience) for home video publicists to announce disc specs without consulting the producer. Seriously, if they just made one phone call or sent a brief e-mail to the person who's actually putting together the disc...
Ah, well...on the whole though, I think Columbia has done an absolutely fantastic job with Black Hawk Down.
But wait for R1 all the same. You'll be glad you did.

Declan

Second Unit
Hey, the man himself.......
thanks Charlie de Luzar....ia..........LAUZIRIKA whew...see got it right in the end:D
Well I wonder what the hell else your gonna put on the 3 disc. At the minute i'm on the Verterans commentry and its a very sobering experience to listen to. Havent listened to Mark Bowden yet, but I will. The last part of Ridleys comments were great as he explained about the screenings he had of the film on the different military bases, and how he said to the father of the ranger who has to have the operation to clamp the artery (God what ws his name again) "are you sure you and your wife will be able to take this", to which his reponse was that he and his wife had to see it.
I have finished all the featurettes on the disc, again William Fincher reigns supreme in the training documentary, "On their first day the guys training for the Rangers had to learn the Ranger creed, for me and the rest of the guys who were playing the Delta, on our first day they said to us: "see that door, were gonna blow it up", great stuff:D
The opening titles graphics demo is interesting. Being a graphic designer myself I thought this was fasincinating insight as to how to do different styles of text and backgrounds and incorporate them into the titles for the film. In the end of course they just used plain white on black text as all the busy looking nature of what was being done would have conflicted with the filmed images of the starving Somalian's.
Lastly I took a look at the storyboard demos, which include commentary by the storyboard artist and it was fun to see what he draws and what comes up on screen. There is also a feature on "Ridleygrams", which are the little quick storyboards that Scott does for a days shoot to show the actors and memebrs of the crew what he is going to do and how it is going to look.
Right.............photogallery here I come, think theres over 2000 images on there, better put the kettle on:D
Charlie what the hell else is going on the 3 disc r1 (apart from those 2 feature length docs and trailers), since I got this disc I havent seen much sunlight as I used to:D
Anyway, I look forward to it. Any time frame on when the r1 is out?
For all you BHD fans after a DTS rlease, there is one. Althoug I cant remember what region, it does'nt have much (if any) extras. I think it's a r3 release, but i'm not sure although it is definitley out and quality is meant to be great but not sure of the differnece between it and the Dolby 5.1 track. If I find anymore info i'll get it posted.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
The French will also get a 3-disc edition next month.
The 3rd DVD contains:
* History Channel's "True Story of BHD" (90m): fascinating doc. about the real event in Somalia (incl. context of the intervention in general in Somalia)
* PBS's "Ambush in Mogadiscio (55m): cover more or less the same ground as the HC's doc, but with other Rangers being interviewed...
* Interview @ BAFTA with R.Scott, J.Brukheimer, M.Bowden, Gen. Matthews , J.Hartnett, E.McGregor (10m)
* Interview of P.Scalia (10m)
* Interview of R.Scott and J.Brukheimer (10m)
* Target Building Insertion (Multi-Angle) with commentary
* Poster concepts
* Music video
* Trailer
Great stuff!!! Charlie: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: !!! Awesome work !!!!
Cheers,
Vincent

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Thanks indeed Charlie de Lauzirika (copy and paste ;) ) for answering us!
Seriously, if they just made one phone call or sent a brief e-mail to the person who's actually putting together the disc...
Can't someone, impersonating a Warner U.K. representative, call Mr. de Lauzirika and ask for the specs of the upcoming Blade Runner DVD?:D

Declan

Second Unit
God am I gonna have any monry left from all the last quater releases to get the 3 disc r1. Well if it has all them extras on the 3rd disc then yep. How come they were'nt included on the UK r2 version.
Well here a pic of the Belguim r2 3 disc edtion and as anyone from the uk can make out disc 1 and 2 are the uk discs (minus the 15 English and Irish cert logos)with the 3rd copying the logo layout of the other 2 discs. If this was going to be a standard European release then why was the UK missing the 3rd disc when the rest of Europe seems to have got it, anyway, here the packaging scan on the Belguim r2 release, enjoy:)
Its a digipack cover like the Predator and Speed r2 releases:
Front cover:
http://link.freepichosting.com/image...pg?x=600&y=400
Back cover:
Back cover of the inside gatefold:
Inside of the gatefold containing the discs and booklet:
Jesus I could cut and paste for Ireland:D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks