What's new

Black egg shell vs flat (1 Viewer)

SamCK

Agent
I'm painting the screen wall,ceiling, and trim (including door) black; and the side walls a dark burgandy. I'd like to use an egg-shell black as I'm painting my MDF cabinets as well. Is flat that much better for ceiling, ie to avoid reflection and absorb light? Will it make a difference?

Chad Anson

Second Unit
I wouldn't paint my trim and door with flat, since it will essentially leave a mark every time you touch it. I probably would go with flat black for the ceiling since their won't (hopefully) be too many people touching it. ;)

For what it's worth (since different brands of paint have different relative sheens), I was a little bit concerned about painting the baseboards on my screenwall with black satin (equivalent to eggshell). However, I tested it and was happy to discover that it completely disappeared during the movie ... i.e., no reflections at all.

Good luck!

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Chad is right about flat marking easily...

I used a dark charcoal grey low lustre paint on the front wall only. It looks really classy even with the lights on and the 'stage' disappears when the lights go down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks