What's new

Biwire Speaker Cable, any recommendation (1 Viewer)

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I have Klipsch RF-7 fronts currently biwred with IXOS biwire to my Aragon 3005, but my RC-7 center isn't, and I want to get some for it. I know I could "technically" take two set of regular speaker wire and do it, but I would like something with a nice shielding, spaded ends, etc like my IXOS stuff.

Anyone have anything to recommend or where to get it? Don't want to dump a fortune in it, just not crap :D Thanks!!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Recommendation: Forget biwiring. Use one reasonably good quality 16G or lower cable and be happy.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Hi Scott,

Sorry I wasn't able to catch up with you while I was in AZ. I changed jobs for a more predictable schedule and it has been just the opposite.

Ok regarding biwiring, waste of time and money. I feel this is an industry scam to influence consumers to achieve audio nirvana using this special cable.

On a freq sweep up to 10k the results were nearly identical. I decided to go to the doctor and have the sales pitch hook removed from my mouth.

My opinion is you are not missing anything other than some cable compnay gettting your hard earned money.

If you fly me out to AZ I will bring my bi wired cables with me. If you hear a difference I will pay you fo rhte ticket and give you the cables. (heck I just want to go to the tilted kilt who am I kidding)

Scott

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Why not get the same thing if you want to biwire? Also, I don't think your speaker wires are actually shielded in the sense that they've got foil or braid over them.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you want it, get it. Check out BlueJeans cables and see what they've got.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Waste of time. It is the same thing as just running a larger AWG of wire. Separate posts are to allow for BIAMPING, not biwiring.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Sweet, thanks for the reassurance. I just figured since I already had the fronts using biwire, I should match the center. I can't really tell a difference, I'm sure I could hear more of a difference getting better wire for the center. I'm using a Monster Cable 12gauge wire, nothing special.

Scott - No problem dude, I understand, I was busy as hell the whole time too, that's why we couldn't meet sooner. I got me some DeanG crossovers coming for my Front and Center RF-7's, so that should really wake up my system :D I bet you want to hear them even more now, since you abandoned us Klipsch owners for some Rockets ;) j/k buddy!

I'll put my money else where for now, thanks everyone!

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Hi Scott

Ouch that hurt, not as much as me kicking myself in the a55 for dumping the klipsch.

This topic is definitely an off-line conversation

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
The thing is with Bi-wiring, the speaker has to be designed properly to benefit from bi-wiring. Some speakes are designed with 2 pairs of posts on the back for biwiring, but aren't internally designed for it. On the opposite side of the posts (inside the speaker), those two posts are just connecting to one wire to the crossover. It totally defeats the purpose of a bi-wire which is to have two seperate wires as a send and return path to the amplifier for each the tweeter and woofer section of the crossover, rather than a shared connection as in single-wire. This is probably why not everyone hears a difference. It's all in speaker design, not because of biwiring...open up the back of your speaker and see what's inside...

My Focus Audio speakers are designed to benefit from biwiring and the guys at Focus strongly recommended me to do so (in fact they were encouraging me to bi-amp or at least do a double-wire biwire with an amplifier with dual outputs - but I'm not aware of any home theater amp that has dual outputs per channel...just high-quality two channels amps have that option and I'm not there yet to get three of those).

When biwiring, I find there is an improvement in soundstage height and layering in the music is slightly better.

I use Transparent MusicWave Plus Bi-wire on all channels. It's a good cable and I recommend it if you are serious about biwiring. I find Transparent extremely musically satisfying.

You want another upgrade you will die for? Replace the power cord on your Aragon with a Transparent Power Link Super. I use these on my Anthem MCA 30s. I cannot tell you how dramatically different the sound is...and it's all for the better. The noise floor is right down there and a lot of the grittiness and sibilance is reduced. These are amazing products. I encourage you to audition them if you have a Transparent dealer nearby.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.