What's new

Bits now confirms - Warner drops lossless audio for Speed Racer BD (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Well, that was the point of my post: that it doesn't make any sense except in the most ludicrous situations. "Every Which Way But Loose" getting TrueHD is odd, but the fact that a day-and-date title that pretty much depends on high-quality video and audio is getting the shaft is mind-boggling. Compound that with the lossy audio on several other upcoming titles, and something weird is going on.

Look, I could see if they're expecting "The Dark Knight" to take up every single BD50 they want to pay for. That explains the BD25. But not only is "Speed Racer" a 3-disc set(!) (why not just unload the extras to another BD? Or hell, even DVD, since Warner only does SD extras), but when Universal is fitting "Leatherheads" (less than 20m shorter) onto a BD25 with lossless audio and extras, then I have to call them out.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Even if they had no business relations at all with Dolby or DTS, that still wouldn't prevent them from putting lossless PCM on there.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Doesn't make any more sense, even if this is true UNLESS lossless costs more--and I can't see how it would (though I'm open to be educated on this). Why piss off the people who are actually LIKELY to buy this?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Given this movie didn't do that well Warner may want to spend as little as possible on it's release to Blu-ray. Then again, one wonders why a 3 disc release if that's the case? Hopefully, this is just an error like the BLOW and L.A. Confidential Blu-rays which are reported now to have DD TrueHD and are on BD50. One can only hope.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I see you've already found the information.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, so much for my confusion about Warner's intentions regarding lossless audio tracks for which titles.

I hope Speed Racer is in error too that way we can close this thread.

Crawdaddy

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I hope that it is an error as well because I hate to think that WB is actually going to release this title with lossy Dolby Digital. :eek:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This title is nothing more than eye and ear candy, it's got to have a lossless track.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Sorry, Ron, I should have noted that.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Since Bill Hunt says his sources are "official", I guess we'll just have to wait until someone has an actual disc in their hot little hands.

M.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh well, lots of other discs out there that are deserving of the money. It's Warners loss. Guess they want to lose money on this film in all of its incarnations.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I remember a time when we as a whole changed the aspect ratio's on Cat's and Dog's and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory by sending a shitstorm of emails and calls Warner's way, we can do it again.

This blows, and I don't even have Dolby TrueHD capabilities yet (have the Sony BDP-S300) but it aggravates the living shit out of me when a format is touted as being able to do these amazing things and then they don't.

BD needs to be standardized with two things on all titles:

Lossless audio
Full 1080p video

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Insane.

If they can't release it with TrueHD, then they shouldn't release it on BD at all.

Save it for a few years until BD50 replication is ubiquitous and costs nothing. Then release it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks