BIOS settings?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by al lout, May 4, 2005.

1. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

I've just purchased a mainboard and cpu combo from fry's electronic (the Elitegroup KT600-A + AMD cpu Sempron 2800+). Installed it and everything is running fine other than my cpu speed isn't showing correctly. When I boot up the computer, it shows only 1200mhz. I'm want to know if there is some setting in the BIOS that I need to set to make it reads 2800+. Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Al,

2. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

It is most likely the front side bus. Look for a setting that is at either 100/133/200/333. What ever it is, put it up to the max, most likely 400.

3. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

Does that mother board require you to set jumpers? You might have to set them. Some more modern boards allow you to set it in the bios. You have to tell the mb what type of processor is plugged in. Also like Jeff said make sure the bus is up to speed. Other than that, make sure that on the top of the chip it describes what kind it is.

4. al lout

Jeff & Christo,

Thanks for replying. Regarding the setting of FSB, my BIOS has it as 100mhz. But it's gray-out, I can't change the settings, the manual said it's for display only. How can I change it to 400mhz which the manual did mention it supports up to 400mhz? Regarding the jumper setting, I have no idea. I guess I need to read the whole manual. Any help on how to change the FSB? Thanks.

Al,

5. al lout

I've just checked the manual. It only has jumpers for CPU frequency 100/133/166/200. I don't want to overclock my CPU. There's no jumpers setting for FSB. The AMD Sempron 2800+ has a 333mhz FSB. Any help please? Thanks.

Al,

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I **believe** you should set the CPU frequency to 166 if your CPU has a FSB of 333. Hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm or deny this, but I'm pretty sure that is what you should do.

7. al lout

Thanks, Seth.
    Can anyone confirm that I should set CPU freq to 166mhz? I just don't want to fry my chip. Thanks.

8. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

Is this your board, beacuse it says something different - 400 mhz fsb?

http://www.ecsusa.com/products/kt600-a.html

If it is let me know - I will find a manual for it and let you know what page to turn to set the jumpers.

9. al lout

Christo,

Yup, that's my motherboard. It supports up to 400mhz FSB. My cpu is a Sempron 2800+. It has a 333mhz FSB. I've read the manual. I just want to make sure when I set the jumpers, it won't fry on me. Thanks.

Al,

10. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

Then you want to set it to 166 to mhz providing you are using ddr ram. You won't fry the chip unless you overclock it and let it overheat. With DDR ram you always double the speed set on the main board for example 133 = 266 fsb 166 = 333 fsb and 200mhz = 400mhz For your board you would need 166mhz. This site also says the same thing

http://www.amdboard.com/sempron_2800.html
    the cpu has a multiplier or 12x and recommends a 166 fsb 166*12=1992mhz which would come out to 2 ghz like your cpu should be. If you were to run it 200 mhz it would be overclocked to 2400mhz and without other tweaks it would be unstable and overheat. Once you have it set to be sure the settings are right download a cpu identifcation such as wucpuid. That will allow you to confirm the settings.

11. al lout

Thanks all. I switched FSB to 333mhz. Now the system is reading my cpu as Sempron 2800+, 333mhz FSB. BTW, I'm running it w/ 512mb of DDR PC3200. Everything is what it supposed to be. Thanks all for the help. The system seemed to be stable for about 4 hrs now. Thanks.