What's new

Billy Bragg/Wilco - Man in the Sand? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Billy Bragg and Wilco - Man in the Sand

Anyone have this DVD? Documentary on the making of the Mermaid Avenue sessions which unearthed unrecorded songs by Woody Guthrie.

Its put out by Rykodisc - never purchased a DVD from them. Their CDs used to be nice packages...

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
It's been a long time since I've watched this. From what I remember, video quality is good but not remarkable. It's an entertaining piece and is worth seeing if you liked the two albums the artists did together. It also has a couple songs, I think, that aren't on either of the albums.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
It's been a while since I watched this one as well. But you just may be a bit disappointed if you picked it up thinking it would go into detail on the making of the albums. From what I remember it doesn't show a lot of performance footage. It is more a documentary on the life of Woodie Guthrie than anything else, with Billy Bragg visiting the various places that Guthrie grew up and lived throughout his life....again, from what I remember. I have only watched it once and it has been a while. But I remember coming away a bit disappointed after watching it. It serves as a decent short documentary on the life of Woodie Guthrie and how the Mermaid Avenue albums came about but don't expect a tremendous amount of performance footage of the making of the albums.

Overall a fairly decent documentary, but I was a bit underwhelmed with the DVD.

But I cannot wait for the "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" DVD from WILCO due out late this year/early next year on the making of WILCO's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album. That should be a good one.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Whoa. Actually, I was interested in this DVD because of Wilco, not Billy Bragg or Woody Guthrie. (Although, I love the Mermaid Ave CDs!).

didn't know that Wilco was releasing a DVD! Have to mark this in my calendar. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, I'm sure, has a very interesting story behind the making of...

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
If anyone else in interested in the upcoming Wilco film, you can find out all about it and see clips at
http://www.wilcofilm.com
...and buy their new CD Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and prove that streaming your content over the internet is NOT a bad thing.

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Can't wait for the DVD of the Wilco doc to come out. I'll second Patrick...Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is simply one of the best rock records released in the last ten years. I've had a bootleg copy for quite some time, but will gladly reward the band for their work by purchasing it on its release.

Mark April 23rd on your calenders!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks