What's new

Bill Hunt has a Star Wars secret (1 Viewer)

DanR

Supporting Actor
After thinking about it, I think it is going to be about Episode II on DVD. That makes more sense. Plus, if you read the wording of it, it does sound more like Episode II ("next stars wars film on DVD" vs something like "next Star Wars DVD". This is actually good news since we won't have to bitch and complain about getting the new film on DVD if/when it becomes available.
Futher evidence comes from the USA today article. It seems there was discussion about why there was a wait for the first film to hit DVD, so it makes sense to me that Lucas would drop a comment like "Don't worry, we won't wait that long for Epsiode II, it'll be out before Christmas next year." Something like that could be all that this "big news" is.
I'm looking more forward to the review of the Episode I disc than any news of other Star Wars DVDs. Let's take them one at a time.
wink.gif

Regards,
Dan

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee, pure speculation!!! I'd like to hear about a WW 'golden ticket'. 1 per every 1000 TPM disks. You send it in and get an autographed copy of the OT Box set!
Oh well, it was a nice thought for a few seconds!
Glenn
P.S. Can we get some kind of a prize if we guess it right?

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm willing to bet it will be Episode II as well.
Then followed by Episode 3, and from there, 4,5, and 6. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I would side with a AOTC DVD for Xmas 2002 announcement.
But maybe, just maybe Lucas is giving in and going with ANH next year after all.
It just about has to be one or the other, leaning heavily toward AOTC.

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I would side with a AOTC DVD for Xmas 2002 announcement.
But maybe, just maybe Lucas is giving in and going with ANH next year after all.
It just about has to be one or the other, leaning heavily toward AOTC.
Okay, I understood what was AOTC which is Attack Of The Clones.
Now, what the heck is ANH?!!
icon9.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Lending further creedence to the theory that this is merely Episode II news is the fact that theforce.net makes no mention of an announcement in their update. They simply say to drop by at midnight PDT for their TPM review. I think if this was going to be the announcement of IV, they would have said something like, "Drop by tonight for our Phantom Menace review, along with some MAJOR news! You won't want to miss it!" Nothing like that.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Lucas has said many times that if he could find all of the copies of the Star Wars Holiday Special, he would burn them. He should have taken the opportunity to have Mike&The Bots rip it when they were still in production
Frankly, it would take a stronger man than I to get through that agony-fest
Jeff Kleist

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
This header makes it sound like Bill Hunt is into crossdressing or something. "He's got a secret-- he's now a woman!"
Relax folks.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The original trilogy is not coming before 2006 (but you never know - he's back-pedalled before). Read this excerpt from a newly-posted article at Video Business:
Team Lucas spent 1 1/2 years and about $4 million, according to sources, to produce a double-disc set that features seven newly created scenes that were cut from the movie before they were fully produced. That will have to be enough to hold DVD-loving fans of the original three Star Wars theatrical releases at bay for at least five years. Star Wars creator and Phantom writer/director George Lucas said during a Sept. 7 presentation to the media at his Skywalker ranch that the first three movies would not be released until after Episode III comes out theatrically (targeted for 2005) and on DVD (at least 2006). But he admitted that he once said he would not release any of the six films on DVD before that time. "There were pressures to release (Phantom)," he said.

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
If this is true, it makes Hunt's comment about "we know the release date of the next film" seem a bit bait-and-switch, really. I mean, a vague, 5-year off date for something isn't really that big a news score, not to mention it's old news. Now, I'm not saying it's true, it's just..I hop eit's not true mainly for the sake of it diminishing the value of the "news" that had been so hyped up.
------------------
-----------
Dan Lopez
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
My Reviews

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
It wouldn't be the first time Bill has done something like that. That refers to Dan L's post above.
Kevin C.
------------------
If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here
[Edited last by Kevin Coleman on September 11, 2001 at 02:02 AM]

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Damn your right Mark, I posted that in a hurry on may out the door at work. I don't know what the hell that was. It is now fixed.
Kevin C. :)
------------------
If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Here it is
But first, the good news. We know when the next Star Wars film will be released on DVD. If all goes well, it'll be Episode II - Attack of the Clones and it will come out late next year at the same time as the VHS release, after the film's theatrical run. But there's bad news too... the next DVD after that will be Episode III, some three years later. And the original Trilogy won't appear on DVD until after Episodes II and III are complete. The reason is that Lucas needs more time to create special edition materials for those discs (his staff didn't really start documenting the productions until Episode I). And there have been all kinds of rumors that Lucas plans to shoot and add still more scenes to Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi before he releases them on DVD - rumors made somewhat more believable given the comments that Lucas himself makes in the Q & A you'll find below.

Attack of the Clones, as expected. Glad it'll be out with the VHS this time though.
------------------

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah, kind of what I expected. Oh well, as said above, at least we will be getting the future releases day-and-date with the VHS.
Graeme, You might want to delete your quote above. The HTF generally frowns upon direct quotes from TheDigitalBits. At least they used to.
Have Fun,
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I *think* I can work out why episodes 4-6 will be delayed a release on DVD until 2006, and I'm not sure you guys will like it. The explanation of 'we're putting together lots of extras and we need more time' shows an admirable dedication to quality, but I think there's a further reason concerning 'extra scenes' which I think we've tended to dismiss as just more special effects. Okay, here goes:
*SPOILER ALERT*
The original trilogy had 'who was Luke's father' as a fairly significant part of the plot. However, when episodes 1-3 have come out, this will no longer be a surprise, and Vader's revelation at the climax of episode 5 will no longer have quite the impact it once had. Ditto the revelation of Leia's parentage in episode 6. I think that Lucas is planning to re-edit the movies so that they have slightly more dramatic impact for those who have already seen episodes 1-3 (my guess is flashback scenes).
Yes, I know that this will irritate purists, but remember that future generations will be watching these movies starting at episode 1. We are still in the mindset of episodes 1-3 being a prequel rather than the start of the series.
Personally, I think he should issue episodes 4-6 now as a no-extras set, and the 'new' versions after episode 3 is released. Given the vast fanbase for this series, I can't see why this doesn't make commercial sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks