What's new

Bill Hunt has a Star Wars secret (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well it looks like we will all have to wait for the 30th anniversary to start enjoying the OT on DVD. Chris
------------------
Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
So does this mean that OT is going get farther away from the original cut? Why do we have to wait five years for these films to be out on DVD (the best possible format)? I'd rather have at least the SEs now and purchase the new edit when available. But that's just me.
I have a new idea for a THX intro:
Start off by showing three five second clips from each of the OT films, and then instead saying the audience is listening, put up the following words:
NOT FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Lucas is really holding to the 2006 thing. Go figure on that.
What LD releases held out for 9 years of that technology?
I was thinking of getting TPM, but I'm seriously thinking of waiting till 2006, just like Lucas. I'm mean if he's in no rush to sell 'em, why should I rush out to buy 'em.
It's amazing how quickly the whole Lucas world has unraveled to me. Even with the changes for the SE's I was still cool simply because at the time he was releasing MORE SW stuff, to the theater no less.
And we knew 1 was on the way (and that was still a good thing) and the SE's had quickly followed the Definitive Collection to LD. He seemed very fan friendly in terms of selling product.
Suddenly we get a "different" vision of TPM than half of us expected, a Japanese-only release of TPM on LD, the word that ONLY the SE versions will ever exist of the OT, and this almost insane hold-out on releasing any of the OT to DVD for a crazy amount of years - all the way to a new technology maybe.
The only "positive" thing he has done lately is make me feel good about my LD player.
Before I thought maybe he was just unsure about DVD, now I think he is nuts, really. He needs to talk with ViewAskew about multitasking on film and DVD production if it's that overwhelming.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Lucas has said all along that he would rather release the Star Wars movies on DVD in Episode order rather than how they were released in the theaters. So this should come as no surprise.
~Edwin

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Lucas has said all along that he would rather release the Star Wars movies on DVD in Episode order
After reading the interview with Lucas in the Q&A, I don't think he hates DVD, nor do I think he's nuts the way you mean. But he DOES want to release them in episode order; here's why:
He made it clear that he doesn't consider the films ever to be "finished"; if they can be tweaked and improved he will do so, and with no regard for whether people preferred it the old way.
He also made it clear that he wants the entire set of six films to be so tightly integrated that they are "like six chapters of a single book", to paraphrase Lucas himself.
Lucas also made it seem to me that he actually is in love with the DVD format...to much so, in fact. He feels, in my mind, that to commit a film to the DVD is to make it a permanent archive, unchangable.
Conclusion: he wants to get past Ep. III's release on DVD, so that he can decide what new tweaks need to be made to IV, V, and VI in order to successfully create one tight six-part story "for the ages".
Extrapolation to the conclusion: we will NEVER see the original trilogy on DVD the way we first saw them in theatres in the 70's and 80's. We probably won't even get the SE's from the 90's.
We will only get what Lucas wants us to get, when he wants us to get them. He doesn't want us to see any other versions, not on DVD anyway.
frown.gif
I'd prefer the originals myself!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
With the way technology is advancing, DVD probably won't even be the media of the future. Hell, by 2006 we'll probably have a direct media feed of any movie you want - in true HD (not this 480p crap) and 9.1 surround sound
wink.gif

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I honestly think that at some point, we will see the original trilogy in their original form. After Lucas has passed on to a galaxy far, far away, someone around Lucasfilm will realize that they can make money by giving the real fans what they want. Not that I wish the bearded one any harm. A long life to him! I just think that there has been a push to return films to their orignal theatrical release versions. I don't know. Not much point in whining about it right now. At least in public. What I do in the comfort of my own home theater is my own business!
wink.gif

Coressel

Supporting Actor
"...when episodes 1-3 have come out, this will no longer be a surprise, and Vader's revelation at the climax of episode 5 will no longer have quite the impact it once had..."
Actually, Luke has had the same reaction to this revelation every time I've seen The Empire Strikes Back. No matter how much I think I know, Luke being told the truth is still, if not more, powerful.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think one day we *might* see a new marketing scheme in the name of "Original Release" where the original movies (not just Star Wars, but others) will be released for the first time ever on DVD. This may not come for several years, but it may come to a point where enough people will want to have the original film and not just the special edition or whatever it may be called.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks