What's new

Big video problems....can anyone figure this one out? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Buddy of mine is having a WEIRD problem.

In game, he is getting this problem:

http://coecs.ou.edu/Craig.A.Mc-Collum/shot0062.jpg

As you can see, blue pixels appear throughout the screen...

This problem has happened in and out of game (but mostly in game - Medal of Honor).

He's tried to reinstall the game, update his video drivers, and limit his FPS in game...nothing has worked.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
This is purely a guess, but how long after he starts the computer does this happen?

possibly the video card may not have proper ventilation...

again, just a guess...

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I would also recommend reinstalling DirectX, although I think that's stretching it a bit, particularly since as you said this happens in the game and out of the game.

I doubt that it's driver issue because driver errors are usually more pronounced than that. My initial instinct is that this is a video card issue as the blue blocks are fairly consistent in their look and design. Driver issues tend to be isolated to things like textures, rendering, translucency, and so forth. They're generally not "let's affect everything" like this problem is.

The key questions are: does this problem happen with other games and is this problem consistent (does it happen every time)?

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
One other thing, is do you get weird characters and glitches on boot up during the bios? Or is it only during games? If you are getting it at bootup, it may be a card gone south. If its just certain games, drivers or software may be the fix.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I am almost 100% sure that it's either overheating, or you have some bad memory on that card.

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Thanx for all the responses thus far...my buddy asked me to post the following:

The key questions are: does this problem happen with other games and is this problem consistent (does it happen every time)?

So far, no only MoHAA but other games are not played as frequently and also about 30 minutes after starting windows the problem occured. then several times while booting up (after the first time it happened in windows), the start up screen was messed up. You could noticed the blue pixel problem on the Windows logo while the comp was loading XP pro as well as on the Dell logo at the VERY begining of booting (within 3 seconds)...The problem is not consistent...It is very random, for instance, it will happen 5 minutes into a game or 2 hours into a game or sometimes will not happen at all...Also, just recently has been starting taking place without even opening the specific game but just randomly messing up in Windows...Its almost as if it has good days and bad days..

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Okay. Just the fact that it's occurring in multiple areas including the boot-up screen leads to the card. Since it happens at the Dell logo, that takes WIndows completley out of the picture. There is a possibility that it's the motherboard, but I'd blame the card first. Assuming that it's financially feasible, I'd suggest that he get a new card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks