What's new

Big Screen Pixelation (1 Viewer)

Dirk Grace

Agent
Finally got my Toshiba 42H82 from Cyberteria (poor shipping) and got everything hooked up. The Philips DVD looked great, but many of the cable channels were fuzzy and grainy. So I cut the cable and installed Dish TV HDTV/SDTV system. The HDTV looks great, but the SDTV picture quality generates a lot of pixelation. Almost looks like you are watching through a fine wire mesh screen. Tried both S-Video and analog connections on both HD and SD receiver settings and still got pixelation. Even got worse when I went to 16.9 aspect. Talked to a Dish TV tech who said that many owners of big screen HDTVs were calling about the same problem, but he was not sure of any answers and scheduled a tech to come out in a couple of days. If anyone has any ideas that I can try, I would greatly appreciate it!:)
Thanks,
Dirk

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Turn the sharpness all the way down is a start. Calibration will make it look better but it will never look like HD. Dish and DirecTV both over-compress their SD channels. They make more money with variety rather than quality.

-Robert

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Is the fine mesh screen effect there, and with the same pitch, with over the air standard broadcasts? If not, the TV is probably not at fault.
If the mesh gets proportionately wider when you switch to 16:9 mode (16:9 TV) that does not prove anything.
It is possible for a screen effect to be introduced by the cable or dish transmission process as a result of compression used to put more channels on the cable.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks