What's new

BIG problem!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I quit the job willingly, and contacted her to tell her so. this is how it all started.
You indicated that she was behaving unusually towards you while on the job, which is why you quit. From my reading of the first post, this is because you rejected her. This is grounds for a sexual harassment suit. Most people being sexually harrassed don't get fired, they quit. She cost you your job, and could be liable for lost wages, plus pain and suffering.

She is upset at being rejected, and is now out to punish you. Next thing she'll be claiming you're the father of her child... get the restraining order, and some legal advice (most lawyers will give you a free consultation).

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Do you have any nice friends your age that she doesn't know of that she might be interested in? Maybe they could hook up and that would get her off your back. It sounds like she just needs a good, honest, young man to love her unconditionally and take away whatever the pain is in her heart that she is feeling. Sometimes when you allow someone else into your heart it will replace the heartache of a lost love. I do wish you luck my friend.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

It sucks letting people think they "won" but it is better in the long run to let it go and just go to another store. I don't care for Blockbuster anyway. I'm too lazy to return my movies the next day.:D

I support your reason for sticking with the baseball team. Make sure that if you are going to draw the line in the sand like that then it is for something you believe in and care for. Don't make it about you and her.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the help guys!! Man, I was worried about posting about this, as I didn't think anyone would respond, but man, what a help everyone has been!!!

I will keep you guys informed as to anything that happens or anything I find out. I'll be seeing the local RCMP hopefully today.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
You indicated that she was behaving unusually towards you while on the job, which is why you quit. From my reading of the first post, this is because you rejected her. This is grounds for a sexual harassment suit.
Definitely talk to an attourney. Just because you quit doesn't automatically make her innocent.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I worked for their company for about 2 months, so would it be even worth it to file a suit of any kind? I know she acted the way she did because I wouldn't go out with her. She even told me so herself. I'm waiting to hear from my dad about what the lawyer wrote in the letter.

Cary_H

Second Unit
This woman sounds like serious trouble.
My advice is to write the money off....her parents will side with her in the crunch. As business owners, they will no doubt take issue with you not giving adequate notice prior to leaving the job.
Rent movies elsewhere.
File a complaint with the RCMP to have the events up until now on the record, and leave the team. It'll come down to a popularity contest in the end anyway, and the rest of the team might not have the b***s to risk the consequences if she was the one shown the door.
If she isn't likely to start stalking you, getting a restraining or no-contact order against her will only inconvenience you.
Blacklist her E-mails and bounce them. Document any and all further events.
Most importantly, resist the urge to engage in conversations with anyone in your defense, or to defame her character. There are people out there that thrive on gossip and spreading it around. Anything you say can, and will be misinterpreted and put out there.
Grab hold of your ****s, bite the bullet, maintain your integrity, and put it behind you. Let her think she won. If she is the nutcase she sounds like, and you keep your cool throughout, everyone on the perimeter will know otherwise.
I wish you the best of luck, and keep us updated.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Cary, some great advice there. I'm thinking I'll just write the money off, it's only 100 bucks, and would be nice to buy a few dvd's, but oh well I guess. I'm worried this girl is gonna try something REALLY stupid and press rape charges or some other bogus thing like that. I stopped having conversations with her around june 21st, and havn't spoken to her since I replied to one of her e-mails (kept it professional). It pisses me off to no end that this girl is doing this, you guys have no idea. LUCKILY, I'll be moving soon to Saskatoon, so I'll be away from it all, but I still don't want to sit back and watch her do this.

David Range

Agent
What you need to do is contact your local wage & hour office regarding the back pay. I'm not sure if that's the name they use in your area, but they will check with the owners of the company for you. Do you have any proof of the hours you worked? Timecard, etc? Withholding money earned before you quit is illegal, and it's worth the effort to make sure they think twice about doing it again.
Also, she could affect your ability to get another job should she field any reference calls about you from prospective employers. IMHO, I wouldn't sit back and let her do this to you. A simple letter from your parent's attorney warning her and the company you worked for that any further slander on her part will result in a lawsuit should shut her up quick.

Cam S

Screenwriter
OK update guys, I JUST recieved my pay check in the mail, so that is good!! Now it is just between Mell and I now. Our attorney will be writing her a letter saying basically what you said David, so I'm waiting to hear from him about it and when he sends it to her. stay tuned.....

Cary_H

Second Unit
Cam....I do know. I was stalked for a couple of years, and a friend of mine is currently mired in a situation that he'd be more than happy to trade for yours.
Kelowna is not large enough to rule out chance encounters with this girl. It would be a good idea to have a "witness" at your side when you frequent places where you might bump into her. When you do run across her, turn tail and split.
No contact, no communication, and no replies to her attempts at correspondence. Innocent little encounters can be the nucleus for the start of twisted accusations against you. Be neither seen, nor heard.
Get a designated driver and take you and your pals' lounge act on the road for awhile. Penticton still rocks this time of year, right?

Cary_H

Second Unit
Paycheck shows up, eh? Hmmmmm....do you smell something coming from the kitchen too?
Keep to the game plan, Cam.

Cam S

Screenwriter
haha, did you used to live in Kelowna Cary, or close to it? The only real time I see her is at ball, and there is a game next thursday. She wasn't at the last game, so we will see how the next one goes. I'm hoping the fact that I've got a lawyer involved will let her know I'm serious about all this crap.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Cary_H, are you implying that the smell something coming from the kitchen is something like there's a bun in the oven? I'm curious too what that meant.

Cam S

Screenwriter
OK Cary, you gotta tell us what the heck you meant by that, cuz I don't have a clue what ya meant! haha

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Cam, did you get a chance to check with the RCMP?

At the next game be sure you got some witnesses with you. That way if she attempts to start any trouble you'll be covered.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Keith, I'm going to thr RCMP office tomorrow to check that out. As for next game, I'll be bringing my sister and a friend or two. I'm hoping our lawyer gets that letter to her before next game, so she knows not to say anything else. Guess we'll see though

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Cam,

I am not a lawyer, please keep that in mind.

That having been said, primarily, in public situation bring a friend, not so much a relative. Relatives are less-desirable witnesses; friends at least can be considered more neutral in any adversarial type situation.

As far as your work situation is concerned, a couple points:

- you would never have left the situation if it hadn't been for the repressive attitude of your manager, but may not be easy to prove, unless other uninterested parties at work noticed her attitude towards you, and especially if it was markedly different than towards others - i.e. harrassment;

- the harrassment had significant sexual overtones, that however might be very difficult to prove - i.e. sexual harrassment.

You have a potentially serious lawsuit against the company. You might have only had a 100 bucks or so attached to it - and you already got those - but what about future earnings? Those count, too.

The actions of her - the e-mails and such - are more proof of a harrassment situation, as is the blacklisting in shops you frequent.

You're sitting on a big, ugly mess. Get that laywer, stat, explain the situation. Get witnesses, if you can, and have them add their part to the story, both at the lawyer and at the RCMP. It will help your case no end.

Make sure that the company gives you clear, good references - at least in the States it is legally actionable if they don't, IIRC just about regardless of reason for leaving - and that they know they have this obligation towards you. A letter from the lawyer should help greatly in that regard.

A restraining order would help, but will probably infuriate further. I would hope that the RCMP needs more than someone's say-so in that matter (too easy to abuse otherwise, in fact she may be an example if indeed she has one), so you will probably need a witness or two.

Above all, don't let ANYONE outside of your parents and people in your family who you trust with this situation know where you are moving to. Even stating it on this forum may have been a mistake.

Best wishes, you're dealing with a very unfortunate but altogether too frequent situation. Take care of yourself!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks