What's new

Big Bang Theory - season 2 (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I didn't realize this was the season finale. Just a so-so episode IMO. Last week (with the space toilet) had so many genuine belly-laughs for me, I guess it's just hard to top that one. In any event, I look forward to season three!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They'll have to save it for the series finale, since much of the show's premise is built on the "will they or won't they" tension (similar to Moonlighting in the 80's). Once that's over, what's left?

I also loved the door knocking scene. Penny knocking back completely threw Sheldon for a loop. :laugh:

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Like most here, I LOVED the knocking scene with Penny and Sheldon. I laughed so hard. I also loved the scene in the cheese factory freezer where Sheldon had the boys doing calculating on a watch, painting a figurine and playing operation. That scene was so funny when (forgot who said it) said, " Why don't we just assemble the item inside the hut before taking it outside?"

While I think it is sweet that Penny and Sheldon have feelings for eachother, I like that they are NOT together.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Hehe, you mean Leonard and Penny. It would be funny if it were Sheldon who had secret feelings for Penny, though lol.

I always love when Sheldon spells things out, like when he told Leonard...

"So her missing you is a desirable sensation? Well it seems to me that her missing you is predicated upon the fact you've left so logic would then dictate you must leave."

:laugh:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yeah. There's a reason romantic comedies end with the wedding (in the old days) or the couple getting together for good (more recently.) That's the goal, and once the goal is reached the courtship story is told. Nobody wants to read about Elizabeth Bennett's life as Mrs. D'Arcy or watch another two hours of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan making goo-goo eyes at each other after they've declared their undying love. Getting the characters together in the middle of any of those stories would clearly be stupid and self-defeating.

The problem with TV shows is that they run so long that it becomes difficult (and implausible) to maintain the romantic tension, so the producers cave in and give the audience "what they want" only to find that they've altered the whole premise of the show. In very rare cases this has actually worked, but 99 times out of 100, it doesn't. (I'm talking here about shows where romantic tension between the leads is a key selling point of the show - Cheers, Moonlighting, Castle, Bones and the like. Most shows can get away with having supporting characters hook-up, or can handle a romance that isn't a focus of the show. CSI could get away with pairing Grissom and Sara because their relationship was generally a background element in the show, and even when they got together they deliberately concealed the fact from their co-workers. So it had hardly any impact on the show's format.)

If Leonard and Penny were to get together, it would no longer be the same show. Period. This isn't to say that the producers couldn't come up with a new format built around them as a couple that wouldn't work (MTM took a comic grumpy boss out of a sitcom and built an ensemble drama around him, after all), but it would no longer be The Big Bang Theory. Given how well the current show is working, they'd be nuts to try it.

On a lighter note: I also loved the Sheldon/Penny door knock bit. I have two cats, rescued as kittens from a feral colony about six months apart. They are named Calvin and Hobbes, but if I got them today they'd be Leonard and Sheldon. Both are skittesh around people and not very well socialized, although they do OK with me. Calvin (Leonard) is the more out-going of the two. Hobbes (Sheldon) is both less social and more demanding. They have dry food and water available all day, and split one can of food each evening when I get home from work, usually about 6:00. If that food isn't in their dish by 6:10 my little "Sheldon" will find me and start meowing non-stop. He continues doing this until I've opened the can, scooped out the food, walked it to their "dining area" and set it on the floor - like there's a chance I'm going to change my mind and eat it myself, or find some other cat to give it to along the way.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I like how they handled Randy's obsession with Catalina on "My Name is Earl" by turning it around where he was actually disgusted with her after getting what he wanted...although, his interest in her wasn't the focus of the series, so they could get away with it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I agree with the need for romantic tension staying on this show. Chuck, on the other hand....

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I was very disappointed to find my favorite - the purple-ish test pattern shirt - under the "discontinued" section. :frowning:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I like that purple hoodie that Leonard wears sometimes, he also wears some fairly cool heavy-duty jackets, too.

Sheldon's green 'Bats' t-shirt (see my signature) is also unavailable. :frowning:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Is this new time change on Monday night's comedy's only for the summer? The Big Bang Theory at 9:30pm seems wrong and more appropriate for the series usually at this timeslot. How I met Your Mother at 8 is okay, but why not TBBT at 8:30pm.

Though I wonder why the series The Rules of Engagement is still on. No offense to those who like it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The change is for the fall too. The idea behind the move is to improve the numbers by giving it the Two and a Half Men lead-in.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Which appears it might work, as last week's 9:30 episode landed in the Top 20.

Though I'm not sure it's a great match, either. I don't often watch "Men" and would have preferred to have BBT lead off at 8pm, so I could then move on to watching something on DVD, rather than have BBT falling in the middle of the evening at 9:30.

Also, given all the scatological gross-outs and overt sexual content of "Men," it seems oddly matched with the more situational nerd humor of BBT. It's kind of like putting "Married...With Children" back-to-back with "Frasier." ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks