Bidding On Ebay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sturge, Feb 16, 2002.

1. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

Good god, in the last 12 hours, I have lost 6 auctions on ebay...all outbid by 50 cents. Everyone seemed to know my maximum bid, on at least 4 of them. They would bid just once, and it would be 50 cents over my maximum bid... I think Ebay is a shady and untrustworthy place.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Nope, John - that's perfectly normal.

For example:

Current bid is $5.00, increments of $0.50.

You do a max bid of $8.00.

That makes the current bid now: $5.50.

Someone else comes along & makes a maxbid of $12.00

ebay automatically 'bids' you against him - his higher max bid beats yours by $0.50.

So the bid is now $8.50.

If someone else comes along with a maxbid of $9.00, they'll automatically get beaten by the $12.00 maxbid to $9.50.

That make sense?

There are a lot of shady practices on eBay, this one's just normal auction behaviour by what you've described.

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Uh, John....Do you understand how Proxy Bidding works?

Just because you do not understand how Ebay functions in no way makes it "shady and untrustworthy"

Two EBay terms you need to become familiar with...

1) Proxy Bidding

2) Sniping

4. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

5. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Ebay rocks!

I've sold plenty of items on Ebay as well as purchased items. You just have to know what you want and make sure as mentioned in this thread to do your homework on sellers, such as negative or neutral feedbacks. As Rick said read up on proxy bidding and snipe bidding.

Of course there are some shady people who deal on Ebay, but they usually get caught in their sneaky dealings, such as opening two accounts and bidding on their own item to raise the cost.

I have only had a few bad experiences on Ebay and that was only from bidders who were slow to send in their payments, and who didn't read the details such as shipping charges etc.

Bottom line, if you wanted the item you got outbid on you should have put a higher maximum bid on it to begin with.

Better luck next time.

Eve

6. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

I lost by 20 seconds at 12:30 in the morning on Ravens upper deck seats by $1.00

7. Bill Balcziak

8. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

9. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

10. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

11. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Sniping used to really annoy me, but I've taken the bid-once-and-hope approach. What I mean is that I place one bid which is the maximum I will pay for the item. If I win, great. If not, I head on over to the next auction for the same item and repeat the process. I grew tired of the days of waiting till the last few minutes of an auction so that I could beat out the other bidders.

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Guess I'm one of the hated eBay snipers. Why do you think I switched to a cable Internet connection? [​IMG] And I don't apologize for my actions either. If someone REALLY wants something, then it should be reflected in his or her proxy bid.

13. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

I've found esnipe to be a very useful tool for winning auctions ending when I'm away from my computer.
    I've always found the best strategy to bid once, as close to the end of the auction as possible. There are far too many people who bid in tiny increments until they beat your price. No point in drawing attention to a possible good deal, so one bid made in the last 5 seconds doesn't give anyone else time to counter.

14. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

One thing you have to watch for, is before you bid, check the shipping prices. That's how a lot of those power sellers make thier money, on buyers who don't look at the shipping price. $9.00 for a postage-stamp size memory card is ridiculous.

15. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

I've won all my auctions by waitin till the last second! It's great!!

Mike

16. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Yea, I've seen some insane shipping prices for some items. I wonder how the winning bidder feels when they receiver their package and the shipping total is printed on it...and is nowhere near as much as they paid the seller.

17. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

I guess I'm the only one to agree with John's general statement. I'm fairly experienced on eBay and here's what I've seen...

- Some people bid, win and then don't pay or even communicate.

- Other folks misrepresent what they are selling as gold when it is lead (you can't always go by the picture either).

- Good luck getting your money back if the item sent is not as advertised. You'll eat shipping costs too.

- The post office is ALWAYS blamed for "Lost" items.

- Retalitory Feedback can be left saying anything about a seller/buyer even if it is not true.

- email is the only way to communicate problems to ebay about ebay or ebay'ers

- The policy of waiting for 30 days to fill out a complaint against someone after a failed auction is rediculous. And then what happens? An email is sent to the offending party. Big deal.

- It is a much better situation for the seller than the buyer. And even better for ebay.

I've completed some good deals and saved some money but expect some hassles and headaches in the process.

18. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    They dont call me sharp shooter for nothing [​IMG]

19. Bill Balcziak

Frankly, some people are better off buying their goods from a retail store. EBay is not for everybody.

20. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter