What's new

Buying experiences of used/pre-owned... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I recently just landed an Onkyo DX C390 for $40 w/shipping. Had been trying to find another Onkyo since the optical died on my prior one(I connect the player to optical and a Belkin FZ to analog).
Anyway, the seller, of course new to Fleabay, listed it opening bid of $19.99, BIN of $200. I bid $30, cause I wasn't willing to spend more than $50 on another 6-disc optical player...
Won the auction and the seller emailed me(cause I paid immediately) crying foul over me "stealing it"...
In my 3 Ebay SNs I have a combined 1200 feedback(with at least another 400 out there not returned to me) with maybe a total of 5 neutral/negative.
I Politely told him, he should have put a reserve on the auction. He said he didn't "cause it was $1"...:rolleyes:
Any similar happenings?
I have more as well. Like the one time(haha, try MANY) I had a guy BIN(when I had it as "make offer") go...
"I'm prepared to pay $40 for that including the shipping, send me an invoice for that total and we have a deal..."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd report him to Ebay. He should not be able to run an auction without a reserve then not honor the final price. I think that's a huge no-no.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He did ship, he just wasn't happy about it.
The listing wasn't the greatest. Said it was a "store demo"...yet didn't mention if it came with the remote(I don't care if it does).
The picture was the player with the cord laying on top of it. I also couldn't care less if it was without the cord. I have some laying around.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A couple of years ago I also got a "steal" on 5 Infinity Beta speakers and a matching sub on ebay. Paid the guy but he never shipped them. About the same time I picked up a used convertible top with the frame and although he did ship it, it arrived damaged (awkward item to pack). It was obvious it wouldn't arrive in tact the way it was boxed. It didn't. Had to use the Buyer Protection Program both times. Received a full refund both times including return shipping.
I've also picked up a couple of dvd players over the years that arrived DOA or had some other issue but I didn't look for a refund because I felt it was my own fault. I didn't follow my own advice and I got burned. Shame on me.
But over all my buying used equipment off ebay, Audiogon and CL has been pretty good. Met or comunicated with a lot of nice people along the way as well. Scammers come out of the woodwork when selling cars on CL though. One guy wanted me to ship a Fiat to Poland! He deposited $2700 into my PayPal account but It was a bogus PayPal site. Looked exactly like the real thing but the address was just a bit off. Buyer beware. Sellers too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks