What's new

Bic speakers (1 Viewer)

Clayton_M

Grip
Are Bic speakers any good?

I am considering purchasing a BIC DV-62CLRS Center for $111.10, and BIC DV-62si shelf speakers for $118.87 for my HT.

Should I look at something else in that price range?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I just got the 62 center from Ubid, $85 shipped.

After 3 weeks with it I could easily recommend it. Fantastic build quality, nice drivers (I opened it)and it sounds great on movies. I think it's actually about 93db efficient instead of 90 as it says in the manual.

I'd be happy with 3 of them across the front. Think about it.

- C

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a pair of Bic Venturi-Formula 6 speakers about 25 years ago. 5 way speaker with 12" woofer/5" mid/2 tweeters/2 horns. Real walnut veneer and very well made.

These are some of the best sounding, asskicking speakers I've ever heard. I also have several friends who own these same speakers and I have never heard nothing but praise.

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered some dv62si's (bookshelf) and a dv62clr (center) -- supposed to arrive today.
If you look at the reviews for these on www.audioreview.com you'll see that there is a guy who has been tweaking the BIC crossovers for a long time, apparently with amazing results. I'm going to send my crossovers to him as soon as the speakers arrive. His name is Ed Frias. You'll find many references to him, especially in the reviews for the dv62si's.

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, though I've heard great things about the dv62si and dv62clr, I've heard that their subwoofers suck.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Kenny, I owned the Formula 6's also, bought them back in 1976. My friends always wanted to come over to my place to play tunes. The 6's were definitely great speakers. Sadly, I had to sell them about 10 years ago, they were too big for my condo. :)

Clayton_M

Grip
Brian, where did you buy from? Buy.com?

Oh yea, and let me know how they sound!!! hehehe. What are you using to drive them?

And how do I get ahold of Ed and how much does this mod cost, and what's involved?

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I bought mine at Link Removed
That was the cheapest I could find.
I am at work so I don't know if they have arrived at my house yet. Will post again once I get them and set up.
I am picking up an Onkyo TX-SR600 hopefully this weekend (backordered at Circuit City) to drive my system -- it's my first HT. Also got an AudioSource SW-15 sub off ubid.
The mod is I think $30 for the dv62si pair and I think $25 for the CLR, including return shipping. You pull out your crossovers and mail to him in San Diego. He mails them back -- about 7 days turnaround alltogether. Send me your email and I can forward the docs he sent to me.
Read through the reviews on www.audioreview.com for the dv62si's (speakers > bookshelf section). At least half the people got Ed's mod, and they are all very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks