What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
For those who missed them the first time around, a new company called Sandpiper Pictures is re-issuing blu-rays of the Burton Alexander the Great and Solomon and Sheba both on August 9 per Blu-ray.com. I might just double dip to give them some well deserved business. Wonder if they'll come up with some yet unreleased sword and sandal classics in the future. Glad they've entered the fray!
Thanks for the heads up. What info do you have on these guys? US, UK Euro?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The Sandpiper releases are, per Blu-ray.com, all Region A and probably headquartered in US or Canada. Couldn't find their official website, but among other blu-ray releases they offer are Equus, Eye of the Needle and Hawaii. They must have a deal with MGM. Some Italian peplum was released through MGM, so who knows what they might come up with.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Isn't MGM part of FOX now ? Glad to see that "Solomon And Sheba" getting a reissue as I missed it first time from TWILIGHT TIME........
solomon-and-sheba-movie-poster.jpg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Sandpiper releases are, per Blu-ray.com, all Region A and probably headquartered in US or Canada. Couldn't find their official website, but among other blu-ray releases they offer are Equus, Eye of the Needle and Hawaii. They must have a deal with MGM. Some Italian peplum was released through MGM, so who knows what they might come up with.
Yeah, I tried to go on a deep search for Sandpiper Films and came up with ziltch!! So thanks, I just don't trust any company trying so hard to not be searched...any track record on picture and audio quality?
Asking for a friend.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The one comment I saw regarding Sandpiper on Blu-ray.com was NOT complimentary about the quality of one of their Blu-rays.
Thanks J, for me...when I purchase a BLD, I try to find out as much as possible before I drop my $$!! With minor exceptions...I know that the track record from outfits like Criterion, BFI or KL I've bought enough to know they wouldn't put out inferior titles.
Newer companies like Film Detective or Arrow are doing some amazing stuff...but when a company like Sandpiper, hides from you offering interesting titiles, I just want to know about them whenever possible, right?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
think they are on dvd only
I was glad to procure a nice widescreen DVD of Esther from Germany some years ago. The Francis of Assisi and Story of Ruth DVDs offer fine quality sources but hi-def versions of all three would be probably be gorgeous looking. Still hoping after all these years! I'd imagine the Sandpiper redos are from the same masters as the Twilight Time discs.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Isn't "Esther And The King" pan and scan
Not the German DVD, which is quite nice PQ wise. Titanus/Galatea are mentioned as the co-producers of Esther with Fox in Barry Atkinson's wonderful peplum history book Heroes Never Die. Then you have that lousy Fox pan and scan of Sodom and Gomorrah (also Titanus produced) leading to the gorgeous German blu-ray 2 disc set just last year. It seems to suggest that the European rights holders and their gorgeous widescreen print just may miraculously appear in HD one of these days, maybe even from Explosive Media. Fingers crossed!!!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Not the German DVD, which is quite nice PQ wise. Titanus/Galatea are mentioned as the co-producers of Esther with Fox in Barry Atkinson's wonderful peplum history book Heroes Never Die.
Just to echo this recommendation: I too bought this German DVD several years ago and have always been pleased with the picture quality.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I was glad to procure a nice widescreen DVD of Esther from Germany some years ago. The Francis of Assisi and Story of Ruth DVDs offer fine quality sources but hi-def versions of all three would be probably be gorgeous looking. Still hoping after all these years! I'd imagine the Sandpiper redos are from the same masters as the Twilight Time discs.
I have mentioned this before but there is a pretty good 1080p version of The Story of Ruth available on Amazon. While I love discs there is no way that I would choose a DVD over a decent 1080p stream so this is my recommendation.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
That's probably the same 1980 Ruth one can get on Apple TV too. I'm just a disc guy and would certainly buy it if anyone put it out in HD. Doesn't seem likely, though.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
For those who missed them the first time around, a new company called Sandpiper Pictures is re-issuing blu-rays of the Burton Alexander the Great and Solomon and Sheba both on August 9 per Blu-ray.com. I might just double dip to give them some well deserved business. Wonder if they'll come up with some yet unreleased sword and sandal classics in the future. Glad they've entered the fray!
Watched Alexander the Great yesterday. Battle scenes are ok, but the film is pretty awful, not helped by Burton with a bad blonde wig totally miscast, and the total lack of historical accuracy. Hephaistion for example his best friend and probably lover who’s death shattered him is played by a nonentity and is right down the cast list, hardly mentioned in the story. And the helmets look like papier mache!

aptiana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Crawley
Shares a few cast members with Helen of Troy made the same year (Stanly Baker, Niall MacGuinnis, Harry Andrews)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks