What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (7 Viewers)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
For the silent fans I'd suggest the finale battle scene in Ernst Lubisch's 1922 The Loves of Pharaoh which had a stunning blu-ray release some years ago. Lubisch utilized hot air balloons above to film a wide vista of a pretty spectacular tinted battle sequence.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Warner seems to not exactly have a soft spot for King of Kings as they almost hid it upon release so a Fathom event is unlikely. Fine with me as the Blu-ray is probably the second best that I have seen of a movie shot in the Technirama process, only Spartacus looks even better.

As for El Cid there was in fact a limited re-release in 35mm in the 90s, Martin Scorsese was associated with it.
For a Fathom release to happen today they would have to do what was done for One Eyed Jacks or Il Gattopardo. Both titles are now available from new 4k masters and with Blu-rays from those masters.
El Cid was re-released in the late 60s, and as you say again in the early 90s, where I saw it at the late, lamented UA Cine in Dallas. It looked and sounded great. The DVDs of this and the other Samuel Bronston epic The Fall of the Roman Empire are passable, with the latter still missing a few bits. But they both deserve careful and respectful Blu-ray editions, as production values are top notch and the Roman Empire practical sets are jaw dropping, said to be the largest built set in history up to that time, possibly still holds that position. Both are long overdue.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I specialize in "battle choreography" when it comes to viewing epic and peplum films. To me, ALEXANDER THE GREAT is just about the most disappointing of them all. One battle is joined in progress, and there is no epic sweep to the sequence at all. If you want a battle film, HELEN OF TROY (1955) or TROY are much better.
I'd love to see a 4k restoration of that film!! Helen of Troy is a 1956 Warner Bros. WarnerColor epic film in CinemaScope, based on Homer's Iliad and Odyssey.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
El Cid was re-released in the late 60s, and as you say again in the early 90s, where I saw it at the late, lamented UA Cine in Dallas. It looked and sounded great. The DVDs of this and the other Samuel Bronston epic The Fall of the Roman Empire are passable, with the latter still missing a few bits. But they both deserve careful and respectful Blu-ray editions, as production values are top notch and the Roman Empire practical sets are jaw dropping, said to be the largest built set in history up to that time, possibly still holds that position. Both are long overdue.
I saw El Cid on its original roadshow release. It was magnificent. The last time I saw it was also at the UA Cine in Dallas. I took my children to see it so that they could experience first hand the glory of a first-rate roadshow presentation in 70mm.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This seems to look as rough as ever, clearly from that same ancient master that Sidonis used.
I quess...if you only watch movies on your computer, you have my sympathy!! I'm still in the camp of wait and see, before passing judgement on this new release, it's only reasonable?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I quess...if you only watch movies on your computer, you have my sympathy!! I'm still in the camp of wait and see, before passing judgement on this new release, it's only reasonable?
Evidently the film is not a priority for Sony - the film has always looked dark and cruddy on every broadcast going back decades nothing will ever make it in the same league as Ben Hur, King Of Kings, Spartacus

Last edited:

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Am I right in thinking that the French Blu-ray of "The Egyptian" (L'Egyptien) from Sidonis has forced French subtitles? I'm be very tempted to get it (the Twilight edition was already OOP when I went Blu).
I'm all for optional subtitles in other languages but imposed ones are - well - impositions. Distracting, annoying and definitely detrimental to the original image if you don't need them. I guess I'd rather just stick with the Twilight Time DVD I already have than contend with subtitles that can't be dismissed.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Evidently the film is not a priority for Sony - the film has always looked dark and cruddy on every broadcast going back decades nothing will ever make it in the same league as Ben Hur, King Of Kings, Spartacus
A 6k scan will probably bring it very close to what Spartacus looks like. Only a matter of going...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Actually I watched this on a 4K 75" TV in the maximum quality that youtube would allow.

Youtube isn't great with old movies but here are two other 8-perf productions:

Even The Long Ships looks better and that one is pretty crummy, too by all accounts:

And here is a movie that looks very good and obviously not much of that quality is left due to the "superior" algorithms of youtube but one gets the idea how a good trailer could look on youtube:

Apart from that I hope for all the buyers that Imprint got the most out of that old master which according to the first member who got the disc they did.

aptiana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Crawley
Am I right in thinking that the French Blu-ray of "The Egyptian" (L'Egyptien) from Sidonis has forced French subtitles? I'm be very tempted to get it (the Twilight edition was already OOP when I went Blu).
I'm all for optional subtitles in other languages but imposed ones are - well - impositions. Distracting, annoying and definitely detrimental to the original image if you don't need them. I guess I'd rather just stick with the Twilight Time DVD I already have than contend with subtitles that can't be dismissed.
That is the problem with Sidonis. There are 8 different countries that do a blu ray version of The Egyptian accoring to blu ray .com. I don't know this but I doubt they all have forced subs

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
If my poor Egyptian blu-ray from TT has totally gone bad (three small freezes in a viewing just days ago), I'd go for the Japanese one that is still available from Amazon.jp. From what I've heard it is as nice in PQ as the TT one and the cover art is fabulous. All my Japanese BDs have optional subs. Sidonis releases are always suspect as far as non-removable ones go in my experience.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
On TCMHD:

1a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks