What's new

Bi-wiring queries...and speaker stands! (1 Viewer)

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone! Long-time reader, first-time poster here. I have a couple of questions, the first regarding bi-wiring:
Recently I bought a new pair of main speakers for my surround setup (made by Mission - a UK brand that some of you may be familiar with). Unlike my old Missions, these new ones can be bi-wired. My amplifier is an ancient Yamaha DSP-A592, which features two sets of main speaker outputs (labelled A and B, to have two pairs of speakers in different rooms, I suppose), which can be switched on/off individually. Not really knowing what difference it would make, I bi-wired my speakers utilising both of the amp's speaker terminals (i.e. the left and right speakers' high-frequency terminals were connected to the left and right 'A' outputs, respectively, and the left and right speakers' low-frequency terminals were connected to the left and right 'B' outputs, respectively). By selecting only speakers 'A' on the front panel, I get only the high-frequency sounds through both speakers. By selecting only speakers 'B', I get only the low-frequency sounds. By selecting them both, I get the full range as intended. I hope I've explained this clearly! If not, just ask and I'll try to go into more detail. Anyway, my question is this...does this offer any improvement over the traditional method of bi-wiring? I assumed it would, because I THINK that both the high and low frequencies are getting powered and sent discretely from the amp. I see it as being a little like bi-amping, but instead of having two amps, I have one with drivers for two different sets of speakers. Does that make sense? Am I right in thinking that with only 'A' or 'B' selected, all of the amp's power goes to the respective output. With both selected, the power is spread evenly over the two, right? So by using my method, I'm delivering the same power to each speaker as normal, but the high and low frequencies are totally discrete. Right? Oh dear, I think I've confused myself....:D
Second question is this, and it's far simpler. I've found my new speakers to be a little less bassy than my previous ones, and I really have to crank the bass up on my amp to get any 'oomph' out of them. They are far more detailed, so I'm happy with them, but I'm now lacking that power in the lower mid-range as I still haven't bought a subwoofer. My speaker stands are hollow at present - will filling them with lead-shot/sand/iron filings make much of a difference to the bass? I don't want to splash out on these materials if the difference will be negligable.
Phew! Thanks to anyone who even ATTEMPTS to tackle this thread. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Without knowing the internals of the Yamaha, I would venture a guess that either way would be equivalent. I toyed with this way of bi-wiring myself chasing after the 'pseudo bi-amp theory' but didn't find any appreciable difference. I decided to keep the A/B option open in case I want to also run a different set of mains.

I would use sand. Cheap and easy to adjust. This should help anchor the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks