What's new

Two queries on new speaker hookup: how NOT to bi-wire, and inverting center? (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Hey folks.

(Apologies in advance for asking what has been asked before -- but I ran several searches and most of the bi-wiring threads referred to the old HTF FAQ (outdated links that redirect back to the main forum page), talked about how TO bi-wire, or pointed at other outdated threads which also redirect back to the main page. They might have worked on the old forums, but apparently are outdated now).

Today I upgraded my system with a new HD-audio capable receiver (Denon AVR-990) and a set of Polk Audio RTi speakers (A7 for front and left floorstanders, CSi A6 for center, and FXi A6s for the rear surrounds). I have two questions about the speaker setup:

1. The floorstanders and center support bi-wiring. The instructions and manual make it pretty clear how TO bi-wire (two sets of wires, remove the metal jumpers), but are less clear on how NOT to bi-wire. (I plan on using standard 12 gauge 2-wired cable). I know I need to leave the metal jumpers on (right?), but do I need to use the upper or lower set of positive / negative terminals? Or does it not make a difference which of the two sets I use, as long as I use the same positive and negative? The user's manual is singularly unhelpful -- it shows you connecting a set of two wires to a positive and negative terminal set, but not WHICH terminal set.

2. The new center is considerably larger than my old one, which sat on the same level with the TV itself, below the screen. The new one will never fit there. I'm thinking I'll need to move it to the second shelf on my TV stand and then aim it upwards to point the tweeters at my listening position. The specifications for this speaker are very clear that it can be inverted for doing just that, and it even has a tapered top so it can be aimed upwards. (See: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/rtia/index.php?s=csia6) But....do I need to do anything special to set the speaker to "inverted"? In my receiver's setup, perhaps? It seems to me that if I invert the thing, the left speaker becomes the "right" speaker, and vice versa -- doesn't that screw up the imaging? The manual for the speaker is, again, unhelpful, and mentions nothing about inverting it. There are no switches on the speaker itself.

Obvious answers, I'm quite sure.....but Polk's website, even their FAQs and setup guides, don't answer either of these. Very clear on how you can go ahead and bi-wire, but not about how to hook up bi-wire capable speakers WITHOUT bi-wiring them. I just spent about $3800 on speakers, receiver, and sub, and would rather not blow something because I hooked something up wrong!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Phil,

1. Keep the metal jumpers on. Choose either set for your connection, it does not matter which one. Make sure both sets are tightened.

2. It looks like there's 3 drivers with the tweeter in the middle. So it will be the same no matter which way you lay it (as long as it is not horizontal). There's nothing you can do the change how it works internally.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Thanks, Dave, for the speedy reply! Had a feeling it didn't matter which of the two terminal sets I used, as long as the jumpers were on and tightened. Nice to have that confirmed.

Re: inverting the speaker -- So the center channel of audio doesn't have any left/right information encoded in it? Interesting, I'd never realized that before. Thanks for the clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks