What's new

BFD owners (1 Viewer)

Travis

Second Unit
I posted earlier that I am having a loud buzzing, and beeping sound coming through my center speaker. I thought it might be the 3805 but yesterday I ended up unhooking the sub cable and the buzz went away. I finally got around to installing the BFD yesterday and I think this might be the problem (which really baffles me as this problem existed before the BFD was installed). I went to Radio Shack to pick up some 1/4" to mono adaptors. They handed me some 1/4" to phono adaptors instead and said they were exactly the same thing. Are they, or do I have to have the mono? The BFD is plugged directly into the back of my Monster HTS5100. Could the BFD be the cause of a ground loop? Should it have a 3 to 2 plug installed? I still can't figure out why this problem only exhibits itself in the center channel of the Denon and none of the others.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No, components don’t cause ground loops. It’s caused when your electrical has two paths to ground. Typically in home theaters the cause is either a cable TV feed, or an improperly grounded satellite dish.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Travis

Second Unit
Well this has me really confused then. I unhooked my sat feed going into the monster box and the buzz was still there. I then took the BFD and installed a 3 to 2 converter on it and plugged it back into the monster. The buzz and beeping is now gone. :confused:

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
When I hooked up my BFD I got a buzz/hum throught my system. And it was even hooked up through my Monster Power Center. I used a cheater plug to get rid of the gound on the BFD's plug and the buzz/hum went away. It must be something in the adapters that is causing the gound loop.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nope – the adapters can’t do it (although faulty cables could). It’s never a good idea to bypass a safety ground. Better to find and eliminate the source of the ground loop.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Travis

Second Unit
Wayne,

I agree with you. I have an electrician scheduled to come out and install a separate 30 amp circuit breaker. That should take care of my Cinenova and supporting cast. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks