What's new

BFD and LFE Channel level help... (1 Viewer)

Keith M.

Second Unit
Well, Ive finally finished construction of my HT and am now starting the setup/calibration process.

I have a couple questions. The following is a breakdown of the components involved to help you better understand.

Denon 5803 (LFE split to feed the BFD and monoblock)
Behringer Feedback Destroyer
Audiosource monoblock (for bass shaker pros)
DefTech PF1800 sub

So my questions are:

1) Is it safe to run the internal lfe channel level setting on the Denon 5803 set to +12? This is the only way I seem to be getting an adequate signal strength to both the BFD and the audiosource monoblock. My assumption is since this is a line level, it is not actually putting any unneeded stress on the amp section of the 5803.

2) With the +12 lfe setting, I am only able to run the actual subwoofer volume about a quarter on. Will this diminish the dynamics of the sub? Am I over driving the Denon instead of utilizing the subs internal amp?

3) What are most of you calibrating your sub to 85db, 75db or 70db?

Does any of this make sense? Hope someone here could lend a hand...

Thanks in advance...

John S

Senior HTF Member
1. You can't boost gain on the other two to compensate? +12 even on a line level device 100% of the time, is probably not the bets idea. (like only a last resort)

2. I like to set power amp gains high myself and the pre-out more reasonable. Some amp designs, this is way better as the peak power it can provide will be significantly higher, but most amps are not designed this way.

3. 85db and then a tad more. (I prefer a "hot sub", beyond the "calibrated level"....)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Keith,

Since the BFD is a piece of pro audio gear, it needs a hotter signal than home audio equipment. Especially since it is digital – with too low a signal the A/D converters will not work well at all.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Keith M.

Second Unit
Wayne:

So are you saying it is ok to have my LFE channel level set to +12 (maximum) and then just adjust my sub volume accordingly???

It seems fine, just dont want to destroy the potential performance of the sub...

Thanks in advance...

John S

Senior HTF Member
It is not the sub I would be worried about, it would be the Sub pre out on the receiver and/or pre-pro. Over time, I dunno, just not god to have things driven all the way ya know.

I mean, if you could even just back it off a little bit.

Keith M.

Second Unit
sounds good...

I will start at 0 and try to gradually increase it...

Anyone else using a BFD with there a/v receiver ?? Please chime in w/ your lfe channel settings and experience...

I did notice mention of a +3 setting on the HomeTheaterTalk faq on the bfd... but no mention of actual receiver etc...

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
If you're trying to figure out the correct channel level of your AVR's sub out to the BFD, then the best level would be that which does not light up the clip LED on the BFD at your loudest usual listening volumes.

If the BFD consistently clips, then its not a good sign and backing down the volume on the amp would be a good idea till the clip LED rarely lights up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks