What's new

Between-Release Nervousness (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
A great place to learn!

I'd like to ask a few more questions.

One, I read that Voyager, S1's release date was being posponed, but they promised to get the entire show out this year. If season 1 is delayed, would this still hold true?

Also, regarding Felicity,, The first two seasons are out, with 3 & 4 planned for this year. 3 is schedule for July 6th, and I'd guess 4 would be in December.

So, why the spread? Are they waiting to get the money for season 3 in before they can start doing season 4, or is it just because the pressing plant is so busy that there is a 5 month waiting line?

Glenn

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Glenn, I don't think that Voyager Season 1 is delayed, I think it's possible that season 2 is. I have season 1 sitting on my floor.

As for Felicity, most companies prefer to spread the releases out a bit in order to give consumers a bit of wallet-relief :) That also gives them some time to work on the sets (I know season 3 is being worked on right now).

Gord

Randy_Cre

Agent
First post here...

I've been very excited about all the TV series making it on to DVD since I first stumbled across the TVshowsonDVD web site. However, after beginning to build my TV/DVD collection last Spring, that enthusiasm has been tempered by the realities of many series never making it beyond the Season 1 or 2 sets, ala Mary Tyler Moore, Law & Order, etc.

Having paid a lot of attention to the release information, I sort of feel that beyond Sci-Fi shows which have such fanatical followings, and shows that "skew very young", its likely going to be the exception rather than the rule for non-current comedies and dramas to reach full series releases on DVD, especially those shows that had significant runs of 5 or more seasons.

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned in this thread, but I think really hurts the chances we'll see full-series issues of a lot of shows is the promotion of the TV show DVDs. It's horrible in my opinion. The number of shows that have had Season 1 released on DVD, that I've seen commercials for is so small that it seems like TV ads must be an afterthought. I've seen a few ads, for All in the Family, M*A*S*H, Friends, and today Gilligan's Island. But I had no idea that Law & Order, Mary Tyler Moore, Soap and many others were available on DVD until I found information at TVshowsonDVD and other DVD web sites.

For people like myself, and probably most on the message board, it's not a real big issue because we're frequent web surfers. ... But a lot of potential buyers are not. I use the example of my mom, she's in her 60s, loves a bunch of sitcoms, and had no idea that all these shows were available on DVD until I told her. Now I'd guess she's purchased a number of sets, but only because I tell her what's released or coming out soon and I've bookmarked Amazon, DVDplanet, DVDEmpire, etc for her.

Because a lot of these shows are being marketed on TV ads, and many people used to just browsing the comedy, action and drama DVD shelves at Best Buy and Circuit City, a significant percentage of potential buyers are unaware that sets they'd like are available.

Since this topic was brought up, great topic by the way, it occurred to me, that what is a great year for releases in my opinion, could be followed by a very disapppointing 2005. I regularily buy some sets, try and buy with the thought in mind that my purchases help encourage future releases, I also know that my list of "wants" of stuff already released is pretty long, and getting longer as new releases are announced. I'm excited by the list of stuff coming out this year, but the reality is I'll only be able to buy a portion of those releases, and many others are in the same boat.

Because few of us will be able to buy all the titles were excited about getting released this year, I'm afraid next year very few of this series will see releases of Season 2s, at least among shows that are not Sci-Fi, animated, or have a very large teen audience or fanatic cult followings. That's definitely affecting my purchase choices, there are some Sci-Fi or animated series I've got interest in buying, but I don't feel an urgency to buy those yet because those will surely get full series releases. Now I'm finding myself leaning towards 1st season releases as well as those that I fear might appeal to an older audience and might not sell as strongly.

Sorry about writing so much but the topic really touched on an emotion I'm familiar with... checking the 'news' sites hoping for surprising news that NYPD Blue 3 is on its way, or Mary Tyler Moore 2, All in the Family 3, Soap 2, and many others etc. But I realize its unlikely for a lot of the shows. I just hope that in the future, a lot of the upcoming sets will get marketed in such a way that the releases get exposure to a larger mainstream market and not just those of us who love to surf the 'net, and spend an hour in the DVD section of a store scanning all the titles and genres.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

Tell me about it. Some of my favorite All in the Family episodes are from seasons 6 and 7, which should be out around 2015. :angry:

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I messed that one up! I should have added that I just used those as examples, but after looking, it is Newsradio that has been delayed.

Assuming sales are good for every season, if they delayed one season by 2 months, would the next season get pushed back 2 months too?

I hope you see what I'm getting at.

But, and I agree with Randy here, the sci-fi shows will always sell well, but for these, they show us no mercy on our wallets! SG-1 being a perfect example. Season 5 came out just a few weeks ago, and season six is in early March. (Not that I mind, of course. I'm all for that).

And to go beyond that, season 7 will be ending in a few months. Will this be out in September? No, I won't hold you to any dates. That would be sick and wrong.

Thanks
Glenn

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
We won't see many commercials for TV sets because they don't sell enough copies to warrant that. Many of these sets sell 75,000-250,000 copies and that doesn't allow them a big-budget marketing push like theatrical movies. It's also easier for them to promote DVDs of currently airing shows in the same timeslot. While TV shows on DVD is becomming a larger business, it will always be a fraction of what theatrical is.

Gord

JohnAP

Second Unit
I recently emailed Buena Vista about a release of the second and third seasons of Once & Again, seeing as I bought the first season set when it was released over a year ago. I guess it didn't sell as well as their other sets because they sent me an email back saying that they had no plans for any new releases.

It always sucks when this happens, but I'm glad I have the first season and I'm not sure I understand why people who want to own a show wouldn't buy it unless they know they will be able to get the entire series. I'd rather have the first season than no seasons.

Thankfully, most of the shows I've been buying have been coming out regularly and have apparently sold well, so Once & Again has been the only time this has happened to me so far.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
A quick "B&M" stocking observation re. TV-on-DVD products.......

Was just in Wal-Mart today (searching for nothing in particular; just seeing what was there), and it seemed to me that many, many popular TV-on-DVD boxed sets were glaringly conspicuous by their absence. This store had very few TV DVDs at all (1 copy of "ER" and 1 copy of "Simpsons 3", and a few others; but not many).

They didn't carry either of the Dick Van Dyke Show sets. Nor did I spy MTM-1 or the very popular show, The West Wing.

Furthermore, not only didn't this unit carry these TV products, but there wasn't even an empty shelf slot for any of these titles. (So it's not a case of them simply being temporarily sold out.)

Good heavens, it's no wonder a lot of TV shows aren't putting up huge sales numbers .... if the nation's #1 retailer won't even stock some very, very popular TV titles (like West Wing), in addition to (as already mentioned in this thread) the lack of very much (if any) television advertising for TV titles, I guess it's no surprise many of these shows haven't seen further digital releases.

I know Best Buy has stocked both MTM and Dick Van Dyke in the past .... but has anyone seen these shows on store shelves lately; that is, months after their initial release dates?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I've seen DVD on DVD at Sam Goody fairly recently, both seasons that have come out. When I would browse my local K-mart while I was at home, they would have some sets sitting out on the shelves, stuff like Sanford and Son, Married with Children and so on but other TV box sets were locked in a display case in a different part of the electronics section. I was in a panic because I was looking for Frasier S. 2, and couldn't find it on the shelves, we didn't see it in the display case, and when I asked for help the lady opened the display case, and plucked one out that was hiding in the back out of view.

The Wal*Mart where I go to school has a good number of TV product on the shelf, Friends, Family Guy, Star Treck, Band of Brothers, but they're on like the bottom 2 shelves so unless your looking for them you probably wouldn't notice them. Its like in the cereal isle of the grocery store where they put all the kids cereal at eye level.

Daniel Calleja

Auditioning
Whatever happened to good old-fashioned market research? Why can't the studios find out which shows collectors will definately buy ALL seasons of, and commit to releasing said shows ...

I'm a big fan of the Larry Sanders Show and was devastated to learn I'd never get Season 2+. I'm sure if CTHE took a gamble and announced Season 2, Season 1 would get a second wind.

An afterthought - maybe once these shows fall into public domain (50-150 years) maybe we can convince Gord to release them for us :)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Daniel, even with market research things are bound to fail, and others will sell better than anyone thought.

Talk to me in 50 years and we'll see what I'll release on DVD ;)

Gord

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Wasn't I just complaining about this A LONG TIME AGO??? ::clears throat:: on the AITF thread. Hello, knock-knock, people are beginning to wonder.

Michael_CPC

Agent
I admit it. When a Season 1 DVD comes out, I don't neccessarily run to the store and buy it. When it comes out, all I do is breathe a sigh of relief, because I know that I'm always going to have a chance to get the set, even if it takes me several years.

When Married... with Children Season 1 came out, I was thrilled, and I watched all the episodes several times, but the panic soon set in that, "Hey, they might not release a second season!" In my opinion, that would be even worse than not releasing any. Yeah, Season 2 is out now, and for that one I did run out and buy it, but I'm not going to rest easy until all 11 seasons are on my shelf.

I'm not paying $40-$50 per show because I want the 13-24 episodes they contain, I'm paying it because I envision collecting the entire show sometime down the line.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Michael, can I ask you to go in to more detail as to why a season 1 release of Married with Children would be worse than none at all? IMO, if they stop after season 2 I'll be thrilled to have seasons 1-2. Sure, not having seasons 3-11 would not be cool, but at least I'd be able to watch the first couple of seasons on DVD.
If Columbia stopped releasing Married with Children in season sets on DVD, would you get rid of your first 2 seasons? I'm not attacking, I'm just curious as I'm hoping to better understand this mentality.
I mean, I have Mary Tyler Moore season 1, and the fact that season 2 is nowhere on the schedule for release almost 2 years after season 1 came out, doesn't make me enjoy that set any less. So, like I said, I'm just curious to hear why people would prefer no releases to partial releases.
Oh, and I think I can put your fears to rest, judging by the relatively short time between season 1 and 2 of MWC, I think it is safe to say that its selling pretty good and Columbia has placed it as a higher priority for release. I don't know that for sure, but that's my guess.

Michael_CPC

Agent
What I said probably came out wrong. I meant that getting my hopes up after Season 1 and then anxiously waiting for Season 2, fearing it would never be released, it was pretty stressful. Had they not released Season 2, I'd still be happy I bought Season 1, but it seems cruel to give fans a small taste of something and then never let them have the full thing. It's bad enough that at the current rate it'll be another decade before all the Simpsons are out, but at least I know they're coming. With MWC, I wasn't so sure.

Just my take on the thing--when I start a collection, I want it to be complete. I could probably get a good portion of MWC on DVD by transfering over my old VHS tapes, but it's just not the same as having the official thing in its entirety.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I guess I just have to look on the bright side...

"Son of the Beach" Season one (Only) or no "Son of the Beach" at all on DVD. :frowning:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Huh? (Again.) :confused:

I cannot grasp ahold of the meaning of either of the above two comments.

Then again, it's possible they make *some* rational sense and I cannot see it because I'm in the midst of another agonizing round of "Between-Releases Nervousness". (Do doctors have a pill for this disease as yet, btw? Maybe Dr. Robert Hartley or Dr. Kildare could help.) :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Chris I'm with David, I'm not sure what your post was supposed to mean. Is there some connection between this thread and all in the family, that you pointed out or something. I remember your all in the family thread, but I'm still not sure what your talking about, and some how I doubt I'll be eating any kind of crow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks