What's new

Best/Worst Restorations on Brady Bunch Series DVD's (1 Viewer)

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

Yea, I think it's a matter of The Brady Bunch being syndicated SOOOO many times throughout the world that as stated above the tapes started to show thier shelf life by the mid-80's cycle. Recall that BOTH TBS and syndication used the EXACT same prints of Brady Bunch for years until TV Land acquired exclusive broadcast rights in the summer of 1998. For whatever reason, TV Land needed their Brady Bunch prints to be at a slightly different length than the Brady Bunch TBS/Syndication package, so they had Paramount go back into the vaults to get the "back up prints." (This was when many of us who watched beginning in Summer of 1998 were like...."WOW! I don't remember that scene!") But we were also disappointed because TV Land did their OWN edits of stuff that we remembered from TBS/Syndication. So, a lot of times you could get a mixed bag of what you saw depending on what you watch. For instance, on "The Impractical Joker", TV Land restores ("a back up print, like on the DVD as well) the scene with Mike and Greg teaching Myron to run the maze, but omits the mouse getting lose in Carol's bedroom. Watch it on TBS/Syndicate, you miss Mike and Greg training Myron to run the maze, but see Myron getting lose in the master bedroom. With so many changes, edits, and modifications, to a show that has had such a cult following for over 35 years, it's a miracle that Paramount could find all of the footage to get uncut episodes, with the rare exceptions of those cases that we talked about in previous threads/posts.

In another way, it DOES suck that we BB fans have to put up with those miserable looking 16mm back up prints, of the original negatives that may be gone foreever. We should see if there is a way to contact Sherwood or Lloyd to get the answers to our lingering questions about the backup prints, vacation episode square edits, and those other questions! Surly they had a say in the restoration project for the DVD's and would know the answers. (I haven't heard from Paramount on any of our inquires!)

But I totally agree that Sherwood's other classic, Gilligan's Island, an OLDER show's master tapes/negatives received much better care over the years, and was probably syndicated just as much as The Brady Bunch. It still for me at least goes back to my original theory. Paramount did their edits from the original negatives, the show wasn't preserved as well as others in-between broadcast rights' cycles and that is why the issues we discuss today with this series on DVD exist. Do you guys believe as I do that this is a Paramount issue as well as not preserving the original master tapes of BB like they should have been preserved?

Jack

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the first time I remember the wild quality changes in the first season shows was on TVLand.

It's funny though, I believe that in 60's and 70's syndication when shows were sent out on film, editing was left up to the local station (it was that way with Star Trek).

But perhaps it went out uncut on 16mm and cut on 35mm. Stranger things ahve happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks