What's new

Best way to conncet audigy2 to my HK230? (1 Viewer)

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
i can go with the discrete inputs (6ch direct) on my HK from the audigy2 but from what i understand it will completely pass the input from the source (my PC) directly through to the volume control without any analog or digital conversion.

this seems like it would be a good choice as i can set everything in my audigy software and the HK will simply be an amp. i think this is the only way i can truly get 5.1.............am i correct?
----------------------------------
option 2 is simply using an 1/8mini to RCA y adapter to input to something like my HK cd input (analog also)

i think this would let the HK process all the front, rear, and sub info. this is probably the most widely used method but i think it gives alot up.

----------------------------------
option 3 is to use the same 1/8 mini to RCA and run it from the audigy's digital to the digital coax input of my HK.

im not too sure how this one works and how the signal travels thru this setup??? also if i will get 5.1 this way
i always thought digital coax was diff. from a normal RCA but from what i have read i guess it works ok.

---------------------------------
the card is an Audigy 2 ZS
im open for any advice or suggestions on this. i plan to assemble my HTPC this weekend. i cant wait to fire this Ahanix D-4 case up.

Thanks in advance.....J

BruceD

Screenwriter
The best methodology would be to use a Toslink digital connection (S/PDIF) between the PC sound card and your receiver (if your sound card has an optical Toslink connection).

The second best would probably be the digital coax cable (75 Ohm same as an RCA video cable) which is also S/PDIF connection.

The worst case would be the sound card's 6 discrete outputs, they will suffer the most from the noisy RFI (radio frequency interference) that exists in all PCs.

The two digital connection schemes (Toslink or digital coax) should allow for both 5.1 (DD/DTS) and 2-channel (PCM) output formats to travel down the wire to one of your HK's digital inputs and be decoded there. I'm not familiar with your souncard's setup procedure so you may need to adjust some settings.

FYI: digital coax, video cable, and AV cable (with RCA connectors and 75 Ohm ratings) are all the exact same cables. These are also excellant for use as analog cables.

If the soundcard has a 1/8" mini phone plug for the digital coax output, make sure you get a MONO 1/8" adapter plug to a single RCA (not Stereo!!!).

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the good info, i really didnt realize that the discrete would suffer the signal noise.

upon your advice a went to radio shack and purchased a mono 1/8 to rca adapter. this with my current coax should do the trick then. thanks again for the info.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks