What's new

Best video cable for PS2 / HDTV combo (2 Viewers)

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone out there feel the MonsterCable component cables are the best available? I picked up a pair off of Ebay but they didn't work so I had to return them. It seems Monster's aren't built too well as there are always tons up on Ebay.

Right now I'm using Pelican's S-video with an Acoustic Research optical cable. I'm just wondering if I should save the money and get the Sony Component cables.

FYI, I've got a Mitsubishi WS-55411 that the cables will be plugged directly into.

Thanks,
Bill

John-Miles

Screenwriter
the sony component cable was the cheapest one i could find and it works great for me, i have no complaints at all.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Bill:

My guess is that the Monster cables don't make a big enough difference over the Sony component cables to be worth the retail price difference. If you can pick them up on eBay for $40 or less, it might be worth considering.

Switch out your S-Video for a component cable (either Sony or Monster) and you'll be set.

Don't forget to pop in some games with surround sound (GTA: Vice City, NHL 2003, SSX Tricky) so you can get your money's worth out of your optical cable! :)

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
You're not getting a huge audible advantage on the PS2 with an optical cable vs the analog white and red cables, except for games with 5.1 audio during full motion video sequnces.

Actual in-game audio is decoded into Dolby surround 2.0 sound through both the optical and analog audio outputs on PS2.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
There are some games on the PS2 that have dts interactive sound in-game, but this is not the same as the discrete 5.1 dts you hear on DVD movies. It's a non-discrete 4.0 format engineered for games on the PlayStation 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks