What's new

Best use of second HT recvr/sub/spkrs? (1 Viewer)

Ted Drain

Agent
About 2 years ago my brother in law bought a Yamaha all in one HT package (receiver, speakers, sub) for about $700. In hindsight, it was pretty low end but it was my first real experience with 5.1 sound and it sounded pretty damn cool. I didn't have any experience with HT or stereo equipment and didn't feel like learning about it at the time so I bought the same package he did.

It's now 2 years later and I know a lot more (and have spent a lot more $$) and I've now got:
- HK AVR520
- Infinity Interlude IL36 center channel
- "" IL30 fronts
- "" IL10 rear surrounds
- "" IL100 10" subwoofer

I've perfectly happy with this setup. It sounds amazing. The real question now is:

What should I do with the old Yamaha receiver, speakers and subwoofer? The options I've come up with are:

- Sell it to a friend at work for a few hundred bucks.
- Store it for when I get a house next year and will want a stereo system in another room of the house. Maybe use it as the amplifier for the AVR520's multi-room capability.
- Hook the AVR520 rear line outs to one of the inputs on the Yamaha and use it to give me a 7.1 HT system.
- Try to figure out a way to use the Yamaha with the AVR520 to bi-amp the front IL30 speakers.
- Use the 8" Yamaha subwoofer to augment my current system. Maybe at a different location in the room? Maybe attached to the rear line level outputs for rear base tracks? This seems pretty iffy to me since the interludes put out a tremendous amount of great sounding base. Even the rear IL10's can reproduce some decent low end.

Thanks,
Ted

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
hold on to it if you don't need the extra cash.
i have done both and eventually i find another use for for the stuff i have kept.
i have a seperate ht room and a smaller set-up in the living room for background music when company is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks