What's new

Best under $4,000 dislplay? (1 Viewer)

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really torn here. I want a 50" (that's the smallest I'll go) plasma, or 65-70" DLP RP. I'm definitely leaning towards the plasma. SO....what's the most highly regarded plasma for under 4K? THis will be for my lving room.
I'll be getting a projector for my HT room. That's going to be a year or so, but need the other TV w/i 2 weeks. Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I still like the Panasonic HD plasma's best over all.

Are you at all tempted by the 65", all be it more money?

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
65" Plasma? Well, ya I'd be tempted. Didn't know there was one. WHo makes it and how much? I could maybe...MAYBE convince the wife and go $6,000. Also, one saleman was telling me that plasmas aren't good for high elevation cities (I'm at about 6,000 feet above SL. I didn't believe him. Thanks,

EDIT: found the 65" panni....too much at almost $9,000 :frowning:

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, 6000' won't be to bad. It isn't really that bad, they draw more power I think and they tend to buzz more is all. Proper plasma mountings will have some sound baffling / absortion built into them. I have installed a couple up to about 8000' in the mountains of Colorado. The one at 8000' really buzzed, we had to resses into the wall and add quite a bit of sound absorbtion around it. I am told it draws a lot more AC the higher in altitude you go with them, I have never confirmed this.

Well, I think you can find the 65"'rs for around $8K on the good deal. :)

Would be a super neato product to own. Doesn't your wife understand that? :D

Plasma takes some lumps on here sometimes. I still swear it feels the closest thing to film to me of all the technologies. Just something about those glowing gasses.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
One last BUMP. I'm leaning towards the Toshiba 50" Plasma. It's $200 more than the Panasonic, but as I understand it's got better sound and we like the looks of the cabinet more. Was also looking at the 1080P mitsubishi, but it may be a bit too big for the room.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I'd let you know (I'm sure you've been on the edge of your seat) that I 'settled' on a 50" SXRD Sony. HD pic is awesome from my DirecTV HD. The thing that set this apart was the SD programing. It was much better than the Mits. DLP pic. Since most of my viewing IS SD, the choice was easy. Plus it was 500 less. Paid $3,500. Lates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks