What's new

Best speakers for Sony ST-K7000 (1 Viewer)

jaa1180

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
I bought the Sony HT-7000DH System and it has a decent receiver, Sony ST-K7000. It is not great but pretty good.

I would like to replace the cheapo speakers, what are the best speakers... within $400 that I can purchase?

Ideas?
Thanks.

-Jeff

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
If it were me personally, instead of purchasing cheap 5.1 speakers, I would consider purchasing a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitor v.5 bookshelf speakers, plus a Paradigm CC-190 v.5 center channel. Then I would build my system slowly over time, by saving up for Paradigm ADP-190 v.5 surrounds and a new subwoofer over the next year or two.

Here's a review of the Paradigm Atom's: http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/p...monitor_v5.htm

jaa1180

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
Ok, I can do that. What about the rest of the system.
What should I work on over time?

jaa1180

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
How about starting with Paradigm Cinema 70CT then upgrading later?
I have a small living room and no real room for larger speakers right now.
Wow, I have never seen these before.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg

jaa1180

Grip
Real Name
Jeff

where would I purchase something like this?

I was thinking of getting Polk Audio Monitor 30 pair for the front, Polk R15 pair for the back, then a nice center channel... something like Polk CS245i.
Replace the bass later... unless there is a nice little system I can piece together. I mention Polk because I know the name. These others I don't know. Still new to much of this.
Thanks for the replies.
-Jeff

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
HSU are an internet retailer, known for some of the best subwoofers in the business. Search Google for "HSU Research".

But yes, bookshelf speakers such as the Polk Audio Monitor 30 will certainly offer fuller range than satellite speakers. I'm not a big fan of Polk personally, but my advise to you would be to audition as many speakers as possible before making your purchase. Your ears won't lie to you (in fact you may find you love Polk).

Definately take the time to audition the Paradigm Atom's if you have an opportunity.

jaa1180

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
How about this...
Klipsch QUINTET ll speakers... then Polk Audio PSW10 for the sub.
Later, I can upgrade a little at a time. But for now, everything will be of decent quality and sound much better than what I have now.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Jeff - have you auditionned the Klipsch speakers and Polk sub with CD's that you're intimately familiar with? Did you like how they sound? :)

jaa1180

Grip
Real Name
Jeff

Well... I know how the Klipsch speakers sound. I went to BestBuy and they sound very nice. It is really hard to tell in an open area though. In the store they sounded very nice.

The sub... no.
The reviews are very good for it, and I am not real picky... so I figured it might be ok. It it fairly costly. About the same as the Klipsch sub.

I agree with the first post, however I am trying to replace all the speakers for me very small living room, the later upgrade as suggested. I am kind of looking for a decent little package.

I only have a 11x14 living room. Not very big.
What do you think?

Thanks again for the post. Very helpful. I know very little about home theater.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Well at the end of the day, speakers are very subjective. Your ears are the best judge of what to buy. What may sound good to me may sound awful to someone else. So my suggestion would be to purchase what sounds great to you.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Klipsch or Polk, but that being said I know plenty of people who love their speakers. Music is such a personal experience, don't let any reviews tell you otherwise.

But before you purchase your speakers, I do highly suggest you visit a hifi store (as opposed to a big box store), which will allow you to audition a variety of speakers with your own source CD's and DVD's. This will give you a better idea of how these speakers will sound on various receivers, in a smaller environment that more closely matches your own room.

jaa1180

Grip
Real Name
Jeff

You are so right. Well I took your advise and went to Hi-Fi Buys in Nashville. The salesman let me know about the ones I am thinking about buying are not really that good and let me hear Klipsch Reference series set. Wow. I am impressed. The simple set up was 4 - RSX-4s, one RCX-4 center, and the RW-10 sub. I was not interested in the sub but more interested in the clear and cleanness of the others. I went through a few movies I know and they are very clean. The salesman states the Synergy series is such a low end, they do not carry them. They start at the reference series and go up. I have to say, it changed my mind. I have already bought the Polk sub and it is on the way. Polk use to be great, well, 10 years ago. He told me Polk was bought out and now they have lowered the standards. Not as good as it use to be. Although they still make a higher end line, which is what I got, but it may not be what I was use to.

Thanks for the advise. Very much worth it.

jaa1180

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
Here is what I got today... the Klipsch cinema-8
klipsch.com/products/details/cinema-8.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WHixson
Recent bookmarks