What's new

Best Scanner to Scan a Boatload of Photos? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just a short read of some reviews and revealed that most of the users are business users scanning documents. I was impressed by one comment that the scanner had no trouble with flimsy documents like gas receipts. I also found that the max dips is 600 while the epson does 1200. True, most of the time I’d want 600, but there could be a need fork 1200.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
As mentioned earlier, if you're fully onboard to spend literally hours and hours a week for several weeks going over each photo one scan at a time then I say just get the scanner and set aside a few months to get it all done.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Selected the 40 piece legacy box which would allow 1000 photos. At $1100 that amounts to more than a dollar per photo and that doesn’t include the media choice (usb stick, dvd, etc).

FYI

I picked the same box you did and typed in their promo code listed right on home page "CYBER" and cost went down to $497

So basically 2 for 1, 2000 photos for $994.00

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Johnny, I tend to agree with Ron regarding Epson printers. I haven't owned one in a long time, and I've only had Epson inkjet printers. I own a business and earlier this year I finally decided to convert all our records to digital. Going forward is one thing, but I had thousands of records from past years to scan. I saw how much people like the Fujitsu scanners, but I really didn't want to spend that much. The one I got can do photos, I suppose, but it's really designed for documents. It's an ES-400, which appears to be the document version of the one you're considering. I bought an Epson refurb for $200 that looks like new, so I have no complaints. It's very solid and it has burned through thousands of documents in a few weeks. The thing is, that's not photos. I suspect the one you're considering has a fast scan speed, which is what I use for documents, but it also has a slow speed, and I'd use that for photos. One thing is, I suspect none of these auto feed scanners will do very well if the photos are damaged or curled at all. A flatbed will be much better in those cases.

An important factor is the software. I really like the current Epson software, but it's 32 bit and won't work with any OS after Mojave. Their current 64 bit software isn't nearly as nice, at least for how documents are typically scanned. It may be just fine for Photos. I expect it's different software, in fact.

BTW, whatever you get, don't use wireless. Connect using USB. Wireless is glitchy and slow, from what I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks