What's new

Best Receiver to Use with X-Box as a DVD player (1 Viewer)

Lorne

Agent
In trying to decide if I'll keep my Outlaw 1050 or return it (I'm still within 30 days) and wait for the Onkyo 600, I'm trying to figure out which will maximize the hardware I already have -- namely, my X-box which I'm using as a DVD player, and a 27' inch Sony TV with S-video in. At some future point I'll buy a dedicated DVD player and TV with component video but this is what I have for now.
I really like the Outlaw but it does not have component video switching, just S-video. If I could get optical or coax audio output from the X-box in conjunction with S-video out, then I'd keep the Outlaw since I'm very satisfied with the video quality I'm now getting. However, if the only way to get digital audio out of X-box is with the Hi Def pack that requires component video hook ups, then I suppose I'll have to return the Outlaw and wait for the Onkyo. Does anyone have any advice?
This is a learn as I go process for me so far so I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks,
LT
Admin: I also posted this message on the Audio/Video sources page because I was not sure where it belonged. I apologize if this was in appropriate and understand if you want to delete the message.

Chriss M

Second Unit
component video switching is only provided as a convenience, why not just run the component video cables directly to your TV? you dont need to run them though the receiver.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
The "Advanced" Xbox video pack -- not to be confused with the "Hi-Def" pack -- has an optical digital out, as well as composite and S-video out. So you could use it to get both s-video and digital sound from your Xbox.

The "Hi-Def" pack offers component video out and an optical digital out. Neither pack features a coaxial out.

Hope that helps.

Brandon

Lorne

Agent
Chriss M, I would run component video into my TV but the best my TV has to offer is S-video. My question is if Microsoft only sells digital audio connections with component video. My hope is that I can find a way to get digital audio with S-video so I can keep my current set-up.
LT

Chriss M

Second Unit
im not sure about your question regarding the xbox, but if you tv only has s-video you will not be able to take advantage of the component video switching features of any receiver. In order to do that you need to run component cables from the source devide to the receiver, and then from the receiver to the television.

Lorne

Agent
You know, I looked all over the Advanced Video Pack while it was behind my entertainnent center, connecting my XBOX to the receiver and TV, and totally overlooked the optical connection until I decided one of us must be crazy and unhooked it and looked at in the light. There is was. What can I say, I'm a fool, but now I'm a fool with a much better sounding DVD and game console. Thanks a lot.
LT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks