What's new

best receiver $1500 or less (1 Viewer)

NathanKFerg

Auditioning
I am looking at upgrading my old sony 5.1 receiver with a quality 7.1 one. I am looking at around $1500. It will mostly be used for movies.
I have the Wharfedale Pacific Evolution series speakers. I have EVO-40s and center for the front. EVO-10s for the sides, EVO-8s for the rear, and a DX12 for the sub. I will put the address for speaker specifics at the bottom (won't let me put a link).
I hope that most receivers at this price sound good. I am looking for opinions on rated power, current technology, quality, options and should have HDMI or DVI. I will also be getting a hdmi capable TV soon.
I was mainly looking at the Marantz SR8500. It has DVI inputs. It sounds great to me at the store. I was also considering the Sony ES line, Denon AVR-3806, or Yamaha RX-V2600 but have not heard them. I would like to stay around $1500, but could go higher if it was worth it.
Thanks,
Nathan
wharfedale.co.uk/range.php?range_id=2

NathanKFerg

Auditioning
Thanks, It looks like the T773 got great reviews, I was hoping to get DVI or HDMI in/out. I located a dealer about an hour away. I will go listen to one when I get a chance
Nathan

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi. This receiver has HDMI (3), iLINK, USB interface, XM radio input, iPOD terminal, 140W x 7, MCACC auto calibration and THX Select just to name a few. I got mine for $1350 and LOVE it!!!

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the Elite suggestion. You could also get the VSX72 for around a $1000. You get the same power output. The difference is a few connections that the 72 lacks....USB, ilink....if you don't need those features, then you could save a few hundred dollars

yc

Mark Russ

Second Unit
The NAD 773 might not have as many features such as video upconversion in several different formats, or 2 dozen artificial DSP sound field programs like "staduim", "church", etc. as some other brands, including Pioneer, but when it comes to pure sound quality, it will approach if not rival seperates.

Frankly, you prolly wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between it and a 125 X & power amp.

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
It's a bit below what your listed price is, but Outlaw's 1070 is wonderful.

It has DVI switching (2 in, 1 out) with Outlaw stating that they prefer not to mess with HDMI yet due to it still being in a state of flux at present. Component switching is also offered with S-video and composite signals all being upconverted (i.e. composite will upconvert and appear on S-video out, everything but DVI appears on Component Out). All major surround formats are covered, full 7.1 pre-outs, lip-synch delay and upgrades over RS-232 (and quite good there as well, I just updated the other day and they had incorporated customer suggestions).

Bass management is rather good offering 6 digital crossover points (40/60/80/100/120/150Hz). Analog bass management gives the option to have it either converted into digital, a fixed 80hz analog crossover, or pure analog bypass. Keep in mind this is offered for all analog sources including the 7.1 inputs for SA-CD/DVD-A.

The power output is under a bit of contention. It's 65 watts, but that's for all seven channels driven. In personal use I and many others have found that it is more than adequate. If you have a rather large room or inefficient speakers it might be a strain though. In that case I'd suggest Outlaw's 970 pre-pro (the 970 is the 1070 receiver, but without the amp section)/ 7075 amp (125 watts at 8 ohms, 20Hz- 20 kHz, all channels driven, less than 0.08% THD) which is for sale as a bundle for $1599. The 1070 is $899 before shipping (not a cheaper product so much as more bang for your buck).

Build construction is excellent as is sound. Customer service is amazing beyond belief. I used to work in customer service and I've never seen a company treat you this well.

I am very happy with mine and would definitely reccomend it when compared to the Pioneer (though I'll admit that I have not had a chance to hear the Pioneer personally).

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm giving some strong consideration myself to the Elite 72TXV. I have no need for i.Link or USB. I'm quite interested in the Ipod connection since my fiance just suprised me with a 2gb Nano. I'm also considering the HK635 since I can add the iPod dock and the HK's auto setup seems to be a bit better than the older Pioneer Auto MCACC, though i'm still not sure how HK's stacks up to the newer MCASS in the 72TXV. I do like the fact that the HK includes automatic subwoofer equalization. I know the older Pioneer MCACC does not, any word on if the newer MCACC on the 72 or 74 does the sub (Dan_J_H??)? The HK lacks DVI/HDMI which is something else i'd like when I upgrade. If the Pioneer's MCACC had sub-eq confirmed then i'd personally lean that way with near certainty. I'm slowly coming around to the idea that features can make more impact (for me) than very small differences in power and sound quality, especially when they add distinct value to the use of the system (stuff like iPod connection/control and substantial auto setup/eq).

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
According to page 37 of the manual, both the 72 and 74 do not auto EQ the subwoofer.

You can download the manual at the Pioneer website.

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
As for the Ipod Nano connectivity...the VSX 72/74 uses a proprietary cable that comes with the receiver that connects to the data input on the bottom of the nano. Other (larger) Ipods are able to output sound through the digital jack, but the nano cannot. Basically, the nano doesn't work with the Elite. Otherwise, it looks great.

YC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks