What's new

Best Price/Source for DVD blank recordable media? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don't know how many people in this forum have

a DVD recorder for their computer.

I am going to be coming into possession of

a standalone DVD recorder.

I need to buy blank DVD-R and DVD-RW media.

Currently prices are around $15-$20 a pop.

What is currently the cheapest and most

reliable vendor (online or off) to buy media from?

Thanks in advance

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Apple has DVD-R media for $5 a piece in 5-packs of $25
http://store.apple.com (choose storage media in left column at bottom)
Apple DVD-R media is certified for use in the Apple SuperDrive and other drives which use DVD-R "General Use" media. These discs are ideal for use with iDVD, or for creating one-offs with DVD Studio Pro.
- Package contains 5 blank DVD-R discs
- 4.7 gigabyte capacity each
- Can be used with applications like iDVD or DVD Studio Pro for writing DVD-Video titles, or with third-party software for writing data
- For use only in DVD-R General drives, such as the Apple SuperDrive
Note: These discs are not compatible with DVD-R Authoring drives (i.e. Pioneer 201).
I believe the Pioneer 201 is a reference to a professional DVD-R device as the most common model for consumers computers is Pioneer DVR-A03.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Mwave has both generic and Pioneer brand recordable/rewriteable DVD media. I've done business with them in the past and can vouch for their great pricing and wonderful customer service. Prices range from $4.50-$15 depending on what you want.
Hope that helps.

SamN

Agent
Check out www.cd-recordable.com. I have ordered quite a few from this place, and they are priced at $2.95 for single sided discs, and $5.95 for double sided. Also, if your order is over $100 you get free shipping. Arrived the next day on my last order!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

$2.95 and $5.95 per DVD? Are these DVDs good?

Have you actually bought and used them?

I should also make clear that I need DVD

media for the Philips standalone deck. I *think*

the deck uses CD+R and CD+RW.

Brett_H

Second Unit
SamN and others,

Just a warning: cd-recordable.com has a very bad reputation among the live music trading community. There have been many reports of the reflective backing of their blanks flaking off and causing not only problems with that disc, but possible issues with the recorder should the flakes land on/in any vital parts. This warning specifically applies to their CDR blanks, I've not heard comments about their DVD blanks.

-Brett.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brett,

I think you have said enough.

I have always learned that if a price is

too unbelievable to be true, then BEWARE.

I'd rather pay a little more for name-brand

DVD media.

I'll again pose the question if anyone knows

a good source for DVD+R, DVD+RW media compatable

with Philips players, please post.

Thanks in advance

SamN

Agent
I have used quite of few of these DVD's without any problems yet. Although I am only using them for data backup purposes, so I cannot comment on using them with stand alone units. I am sure they are not as good as other brandname discs I have come across, but they are cheap, and work fine for my purpose.
Sam
You may want to check out meritline.com, they have several different brands, for what seems like pretty good prices. $6-$10 for Mitsui, Pioneer, and others.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Mwave only sells DVD-R/-RW media, not the +R/+RW. I should've asked that question previously. Sorry Ron. Good luck on your search.

Tom Koegel

Stunt Coordinator
Ron:
I have to believe that any DVD writer will write to the write-once DVD-R format media. (I have never heard of DVD+R. There is DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW . . . . I'm guessing that it is really DVD-R.) It seems pretty clear from shopping around the web that one can get name brand blanks for less than $5. In addition to http://www.meritline.com there is also http://www.shop4tech.com.
Because this is, at this point, a low-demand product with fewer suppliers, I think that prices are pretty high. But my local COMPUSA does have DVD-R blanks for 7.99, which is a lot less than you were guessing. Because DVD+RW is the latest flavor, it seems to be the most expensive. DVD-RW is available at COMPUSA for about $10. Both DVD-R and DVD-RW burned on my Pioneer A03 burner work in my relatively old (now) Sony S550.
Tom

Alan Wood

Auditioning
Ron,

The Philips Recorder does NOT support the DVD-R format. To my knowledge there is not a DVD+R. They only support the DVD+RW disc for recording. As for the blank DVD-R disc from CD-Recordable. I have used about 10 to 12 of these as I transfer my old laser disc to DVD. I have only had one that was defective. Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Chip

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
You might want to check out www.mitsuicdr.com. This site will also have their DVD-R's on it.
Although I'm not yet in the DVD-R circle as of yet, I did get into the CD-R circle somewhat early and found their CD-R's to be simply the finest available. I've used them on both my stand alone pro Marantz burner and on my PC HP drive with excellent results.
I would bet that Mitsui DVD-R media will be among the finest or they wouldn't put their name on it. Unlike many other media companies, Mitsui seems to actually care about their reputation.

Alan Light

Stunt Coordinator
You can find DVD-R betwen $5 (Verbatim) and $6 (Sony) here. I've ordered several times and service and product have been great. Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks