What's new

Best Pre for up to $5000? (1 Viewer)

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
David -
I haven't run across a full-blown magazine review (printed or online). Believe me, I searched all over for them when I was in the market for a new pre/pro. Of course there are the usual "Audio Review" owner puff pieces ("Anthem hit a home run with this one"; "I'd take this unit over my girl friend anyday", etcetera) but no real reviews.
For what its worth, I have posted a couple of "mini-reviews" here and elsewhere regarding my one week's experience with the AVM-2. I was attracted to the unit precisely because, on paper, it seemed to offer so much for an incredibly low price. And I figured coming from a division of Sonic Frontiers it would HAVE to be good on two channel music. But, alas, in "real life", hooked up to my system, it demonstrated once again that "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is"... I quote myself below from another HTF thread on the Anthem AVM-2:
Although I not currently an owner, I lived with an AVM-2 in my home system for a week (feeding a BEL 1001 Mk V power amp driving Magnepan MG 3.6s), auditioning a wide range of familiar material on both CD and DVD. While at first it seemed to have an "exciting" sound, I was appalled to discover that it was on music that the unit sounded the worst -- it was harsh on loud passages and had such clinically exaggerated, “autopsy-like” detail ("grainy" in the extreme) and bizarre, shifting sound stage, that the cohesiveness of the music was lost. Very fatiguing to listen to after only an hour or less, an experience I endured each of several evenings. Not at all what I expected of a processor from a division of Sonic Frontiers! Soundtracks sounded better, but...
...the unit also had several operational anomalies including switching itself during movies from Dolby Digital to Stereo with no way to switch it back, short of turning off the unit for a while and letting it "reset" itself. In addition, the Anthem lacks its own internal AC-3 RF decoder, so to do Dolby Digital with laser disc, you have to have an external unit. The Anthem refused to accept input from my Lexicon AC-3 RF decoder, which has worked perfectly with several other pre/pros. Add to that a total lack of response from Anthem from my direct inquiries to their "Customer Service" and no real help from them via the dealer (Anthem basically told the dealer "our unit is supposed to work with external decoders -- it must be a problem with the other unit"), so I gave up on them and their product.
As you know already, I stepped up my investment and got the unit that really delivers on its promise, the Integra Research RDC-7, on which by the way, I have already installed the Dolby Prologic II upgrade. (That wasn't just a vaporware promise -- Onkyo/Integra Research came through with the goods at only $49 including shipping).
I hope you find a unit that meets your expectations at a price you are willing to pay.
Regards -
Burke

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I just got an email from Integra concerning the bass crossover issue. Here is what they said:
"Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support
There are no plans at the present to offer a lower bass crossover."
I think the relatve importance of the bass crossover issue goes a long way towards deciding which preamp one should go for. For Burke, phono and AC3-RF inputs were more important. Onkyo sounds like they're clearly not interested in doing anything about the bass crossover issue. On the other hand, Anthem told me Motorola IS working on DPLII and DTS modes, so it's reasonable to expect the AVM-20 will have them eventually (they said the AVM-20 is both hardware and software upgradeable DSP-wise).
I'll be interested to audition and read feedback about both pieces.
------------------
[Edited last by RobertR on August 04, 2001 at 01:11 PM]

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Robert -
The phono input and AC-3 RF input were just "icing on the cake" -- albeit a very impressive and satisfying cake. :>) It was the superior sound quality and robust operation (such as accepting input from ALL my components and NOT doing strange, unexpected mode switching) of the Integra Research RDC-7 that won me over.
Given my speaker complement, I thought flexible bass management was essential at this level of equipment quality and price. I have learned that it isn't. (But in fairness, neither is DP2. Although I'm glad it is now a feature of my upgraded unit, it isn't "essential".)
As I've stated before, the ability to do high quality audiophile justice to two channel music was a paramount issue for me. The Anthem unit failed miserably on this point, while the RDC-7 equalled or bettered the performance I have heard from a number of high end dedicated two channel preamps in addition to being a nearly "do it all" A/V processor. Although I had said going into the selectoin process that I wanted flexible bass management, I wasn't willing to sacrifice acceptable performance in virtually every other area just to have a flexible bass crosover, when the unit I finally chose offers superlative performance in those other areas.
Of course I would like for Integra Research to include more-flexible bass management options in the next upgrade (which is a promised process we already know they can and will deliver on, the included features for the next one now being the open question). I am even considering starting a "campaign" to try to persuade them their owners want more flexible bass management options in the next upgrade. But I have lived long enough with the RDC-7 to know if such an option is never forthcoming, the performance and value of what I am using right now is something I can happily live with for a LONG time to come.
Burke

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It would be better anyway to set at least your Front L/R speakers to LARGE and use a quality outboard stereo bass cross-over (like from TDM) and two tight, quality subwoofers. You can also do the same with your rear speakers too and have stereo rear subs.
Much better performance IMHO if you have the room. Then it wouldn't matter what the processor had in the way of Bass Management really.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on August 04, 2001 at 11:19 PM]

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
Burke,
I understand your read your point loud and clear - sound quality is more important than any feature, but it remains to be seen how good or bad the Anthem is.
I have listened to the RDC-7, and found it to be fabulous - it remains to be seen if the Anthem is comparable - if it is, it will be the one for me.
David

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I've known a couple people who owned Anthem products. They seemed a bit buggy in their operations on some features.
The Integra Research has been put through its paces on a few reviews and doesn't seem to have problems. It's not often that Stereophile gives a product a AAA rating.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
David -
Upon listening, if the new Anthem AVM-20 sounds comparable to or better than other units you've heard, has the feature set that you want, and comes in at an attractive price, it is, by all means, the one you should buy.
Enjoy!
Burke
PS -- unless, of course, something even newer comes along that trumps it and all the rest in those areas! :>)

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just anxious to try the two of them out!
Does anyone know why Anthem's website has been down?
David
[Edited last by David Schamis on August 05, 2001 at 05:06 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks