What's new

Best place to purchase DVD player? RP-82, CP-72, or 4800 (1 Viewer)

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to get a new DVD player with DVD-A capability here in a couple weeks. I am currently interested in all three of the models listed in the title and will decide on which later. I'm looking for the cheapest place to purchase each model from and will likely make my decision based upon final price. Thanks for any links or sites to check.

Mike

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, Best Buy has the Toshiba SD-4800 for under $200. I'm not sure if Circuit City has it. I know that Circuit City has the 'CP72. I don't know if either store has the 'RP82. Finally, I imagine you could do well on any of these players through OneCall (1-800-340-4770) or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180). They are authorized dealers.

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Keith. I was just at BB this evening and I saw the 4800 there. I believe it was priced at $199 if I remember correctly. I was wondering if there was a cheaper place online to get it, or if BB was as cheap. I believe the only Panny they had was the RP-62. I guess I'll go by CC tomorrow and check out what they have there. Thanks for the info!

Mike

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, no problem. You should be able to find the 'CP72 at Circuit City stores in your area. Again, try the mail-order dealers. They could very well be cheaper than Best Buy and Circuit City.

Manny_S

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my RP82 locally at Brandsmart, a large warehouse style appliance/electronics store. $191

Calvin Cullen

Stunt Coordinator
As of 9/15, Amazon.com has the 4800 for $175.04 shipped. You can also get $10 off with the code MAPBABYTALK2. I'm thinking pretty hard about getting in on this deal myself.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
The Circuit City stores in my area had the CP72, but I will never again buy anything from that company (see DiVX). I found the player on display at the Ultimate Electronics store near where a friend of mine lives, but they failed to sell it to me despite my willingness to purchase it. They only had the one in stock, and it was on display and they were unwilling to sell the display.

I couldn't believe it. The sign said "$249" or whatever, and I was perfectly willing to give them that much in exchange for the player, but they said they couldn't sell the display. They said all the UE stores in my area had only one of the item in stock, the display, and therefore I could wait till they got more in stock if I really wanted to buy it.

This made no sense to me -- in a retail store you should never let a willing customer walk out empty handed. On a hunch I went to a different UE near me and sure enough, they had their one unit in stock and it was boxed and in the back room, and I bought it. The moral of the story: Ultimate Electronics has the CP72, in black even, and even though they were idiots in not letting me purchase their display, I would still buy it from them before I ever buy anything from Circuit City.

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Calvin. That's an awesome price! I may just go with the 4800, depending on if I can find a good deal on the -72 in the next couple weeks.

Brian O

Second Unit
I see Amazon has a Panasonic CP67 that appears to have similar features to the CP72. Anyone know about this unit and what the differences would be?

Zac_F

Agent
J&R has the CP72 for 229 in black or silver. This was not a hard to find item in NY. Panasonic has been shipping in bulk. and it is appearing in stores. They even had it at a WIZ store that was closing up (for much more money 279 i think.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks