Best PC Audio card for 5.1

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tom-RW, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Tom-RW

Tom-RW Auditioning

I use a computer connected to my TV for DVD and other types of movies. Currently it's just hooked up in stereo, right and left. The sound card I have (SBLive) has a spdif output on it. However my Sony receiver takes optical or coaxial.

It was mentioned in another forum that card will only output EAX (whatever that is).

To make it simple, do I need a better sound card and what would that be? Or do I need a simple converter that will do the job?

Thanks!
    Tom

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Tom-
    I moved your thread to the HTPC forum. You will get a better response to your question here.

Adam

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I have heard the older SBLive cards may have problems with a converter to your receiver. You can try getting a 1/8" to RCA converter.

[​IMG]

If you have problems the Chaintech 710 is a highly recommended Envy 24HT-S based card (optical output). $24 at Newegg but I see an OEM one for $14.

4. Tom-RW

Tom-RW Auditioning

Thanks, after you mentioned that I grabbed a Dolby 5.1 card off EBay for cheap. It has 6 individual outputs and my receiver has the same for inputs (among others). That should od the job I hope. [​IMG]

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It'll do the job but why would you want it to? Out of digi inputs on your receiver?

You'll get better sound from a digital output from any sound card rather than analog, mainly because the DACs in every receiver sound better than a >$300 card.