What's new

best movie theater in chicago? (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Felix, AOTC will definitely be opening at McClurg Court. There was an article in Friday's paper and it mentioned that fans will probably start lining up after this coming weekend.
I don't know when the tickets go on sale, the article didn't give that information, but IMDB speculates that they might go on sale this Friday.
Remember, whenever you get tickets, you MUST MAKE SURE THE TICKETS ARE FOR THEATER 1. That's the big screen, downstairs. There's little difference between Theaters 2 and 3 upstairs, they're just a lot smaller than Theater 1.
Of course, if size doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't matter. Just because I couldn't imagine seeing it for the first time in any other theater (except the IMAX) doesn't mean everyone is that way. We've seen so many "BIG" movies there (Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Titanic, The Matrix, TPM, Apocalypse Now Redux, to name a few) that the two front row, left-of-the-aisle seats have our names on them. :D
Charles Bobar: It's been confirmed that AOTC will be shown digitally at the South Barrington 30, so have fun! I envy you, but there's no way we could get out there. The burbs might as well be Siberia for us carless folks.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
thanks vick!

but i am not familiar with how the system works. do i need to purchase the ticket a few days in advance?

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
TICKETS: Will go on sale at the AMC South Barrington this Friday May 3rd at 10:30am.
Theater 17 has the DLP.
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
but i am not familiar with how the system works. do i need to purchase the ticket a few days in advance?
Sorry, I have no idea. I'm trying to figure out what's going on myself.

Charles, did you call the Barrington or did you find out some other way?

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Vickie,
I called the South Barrington 30 (like I have for the past 3 weeks :D ) and their customer support rep. confirmed the above info. If you'd like a phone # to contact them, just request it here and I'll e-mail it to ya.
WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
So tomorrow showtimes should be announced. Regardless if there's a midnight show, who's going to the premiere viewing at AMC South Barrington? Maybe we can meet up and get the best seats in the house.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
I'm going to the AMC Barrington for the premiere if I can get tickets. I'll see you their Charles.

From what I understand, AMC is privately owned and camping out won't be allowed. What time should I get their then for tickets and what time on the day it comes out to camp out for seats?

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Those are questions I will pose tomorrow when I call for showtimes. If the guys out in Portland can camp out for 2 months, I don't see why we can't here.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
UPDATE: It is true. I just confirmed that the AMC South Barrington 30 NO LONGER has a digital projector. But do not fret, I'm on the scent and the skinny is another theater is installing digital especially for SW. Details to follow very soon (I'm on the phone right now).

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, here's the deal. I've confirmed that the Loews Streets of Woodfield has installed a new DLP for AOTC. Theater 15. As of right now, they do not have showtimes or know when tickets will go on sale. Probably next week was the answer I got. But I was advised to call back between 5-6pm today.
Later this afternoon, the AMC South Barrington will announce showtimes. I'll keep everyone aprised of that.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Felix, by far I'd say that the AMC South Barrington 30 (that has been mentioned) is the best theatre in the Chicago area. Even the smaller screens are great there. The only downside (for most) is that it is somewhat far and not inside the city.
Theatres inside the city limits:
City North 14 - newest inside Chicago, yet just an average run of the mill multiplex. Note: not all screens have stadium seating. IMO overpriced theatre and would only go there if it was just close by and nobody wanted to go elsewhere.
McClurg Court Screen 1 - this is the closest you'll get to the old giant theatres - very large screen with very large auditorium seating. It has all traditional seating (a.k.a floor or non-stadium seats). It's nice for the large screen, but lacks in modern features.
McClurg Court Screen 2 and 3 - don't bother unless you live next door and just need to see a movie.
Webster Place - average run of the mill multiplex. Downside is no stadium seating. But, at least it's clean. Don't go out your way to get here.
Every other theatre inside the city is either mediocre, terrible, or at best just average.
Outside the city you have a few more options:
Crown Village 18 - this one is much closer to the city and is quite acceptable. All screens have stadium seating and full digital surround. It's located in the Village Crossing shopping mall at Touhy and Central (a.ka. Carpenter Rd.)
Northbrook Court - All stadium seating, all digital surround.
Lowes Streets of Woodfield - similar in quality to Crown Village and Northbrook Court, but newer. Note: This may be the only place to see SW Ep2 in DLP.
There are a few others in the suburbs that are decent, but not great, but probably aren't worth the trouble to get to.
To sum up:
If you can't get to AMC South Barrington, then try going to the Crown Village in Skokie. This should be easy to get to by bus. If either of these options aren't feasible then by all means check out McClurg Court (extremely easy to get there by train/bus). Just remember - screen one only.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
UPDATE: The AMC South Barrington 30 will start selling tickets online & via phone at 8am but walk-ups won't be able to purchase until 10:30am. That sucks. I guess that's their way of avoiding lines or camping out. Anyway, showtimes weren't available when I called so you'll find out when you call. If they have a midnight showing, I'll probably buy a ticket. If not, I'll wait and take the chance that Streets will have one.
The Loews Streets of Woodfield has not announced any showtimes or when tickets will go on sale. I don't expect any new information until Monday but will call tomorrow just in case.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Guess I'm late to the game here, but Theater 1 at McClurg Court is the best theater in the Chicago area by a very wide margin. No other screen even comes close in combining the most up-to-date audio system combined with top-notch projection. So it isn't digital...big deal. I'm one person who doesn't think digital projection is the be all and end all of film presentation.

I know I'll be seeing AOTC at least three times...once at a midnight showing near me (probably Country Club Hills if it's being shown then), once at McClurg Court and once at a digital projection facility. Of those three, McClurg Court is the one that I most eagerly anticipate.

One other thing...I can't really recommend the screen, but if you're looking for something different, there's always the Premium Cinema at the Yorktown 18 in Lombard. They have leather seats, small end tables for each seat, valet parking, free popcorn, overpriced entrees and liquor sales. If I recall, the ticket price was about $15, though I wouldn't be surprised if they jack it up as the summer blockbusters roll out.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
No one said it was the end all, be all. Hell, I haven't even seen a digital presentation. And that's the exact same reason I want to see it digitally. If I haven't seen it, I'll never know if I like it or hate it. The AMC SB 30 is every bit as modern and high end as McClurg Court just out for the rich people.
I've never been to the Streets of Woodfield but will go see AOTC there so I can experience DLP firsthand. There's certainly nothing wrong with that. Plus, I want to compare the 2 formats and see which I like better, or see what improvement needs to ironed out. In any event, I'm psyched.
Well, the AMC South Barrington 30 is not having a midnight showing. Damn them. First they screw us on the DLP and now this. I'm holding out for the Streets of Woodfield. Maybe they will capatilize on AMC's lackluster attitude with DLP AND midnight showings.
I'm just happy we're 2 weeks away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I have seen DLP showings a few times now. I will say that for a film-to-digital transfer, film is better. Although the DLP image would absolutely be awesome for a home theater, it doesn't quite measure up to true film yet. It's probably mostly due to compression. There is some motion blur evident. You can easily see this on moving static images. Take one look at the credits in a DLP showing. The credits are slightly fuzzy as the scroll up the screen.

Now for film that's digital to begin with, it's a slightly different story. I got to check this out with Monsters, Inc.. The image was still fuzzy at times (like the credits), but overall was much better than the film transfers.

The first movie I saw on DLP was Bicentennial Man. It looked great, for home theatres. But, it suffered a little in fast moving scenes. Monsters, Inc. didn't have as many problems in quick motion scenes. Unfortunately I didn't get the chace to see either of these on straight film, so I can't compare properly, yet.

Perhaps the biggest advantage to DLP at the moment is that you can be assured of a clean print with no scratches.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
bill
Link Removed
i have a few questions.
i have never watched a movie in US theater. really. so, please let me know what i should do. in my country, they always open the ticket booth 30 minutes before the movie starts. then we reserve our seat, first come first serve. no online ticket purchasing. it is that simple, and nobody would get inline 2 days in advance. NEVER. and they do show the movie 7 days a week, since all high class movie theaters are conveniently located in big shopping malls.
from that link, looks like the court opens only from friday to sunday. i thought i could go see aotc in a week day when there are not too many people there. then, what should i do? purchase the ticket by phone in advance?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks