What's new

Best home theater speakers (1 Viewer)

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

This is a very difficult question, and also one that has no answer. Each person distinguishes sound differently and as such like different sounding speakers. I know, I know, NOT the answer you were looking for, but it is the truth.

Below is a sample listing of speakers that alot of folks rave over:

Klipsch
Definitive Technology
Polk
Triad
Paradigm
B&W

These are just to name a few, and are in no particular order. The BEST advise anyone can give you, is to listen to all the speakers and make a call on the ones that sound the best to you.

Is that price for just a 5.1 system, just 5 or 7, or 7.1

A little more specific on the above would help us guide you further.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
IMO Def Tec's (the bipolar ones with built in subs) are great for movies. Some will argue that they are also great for music but my feeling is that they really shine for movies. I own a pair and love them. Those built in subs are nice when space is a consideration.

Energy is also a great brand of speaker, good value for the money.

Like others have mentioned go out and listen to some that fit into your price range. Bring movies/music that you are fimiliar with, especially ones that cover a wide range of frequencies. Also, check out audioreview.com for opinions.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Home Theater I would just have to say Klipsch as my top pick. Very strong vocals so with movies you won't have a problem when they whisper alot... such as lord of the rings. Listened on my friend Panasonic HTIB and other friends Polk system compared to my Klipsch you had to turn up the volume very high to hear what they whispered while on mine they came out good no matter what level.

It is a little brighter and still remains very nice mid's and lower freq's. You can find there reference bookshelves, RB-25 for about $350 or so. Less if you look around.

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I have listened to many speakers, and I am going to go with Energy Connisseur series. I got a deal for a pair of C-5's, the C-C1, and a denon AVR-3803 from the local dealer over here for $1800 total.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have these speakers, which can be had for $1,800 right now from AV123.

This assumes that you already have a sub. If you don’t, check and see if you can get a deal on their new UFW-10.

Those RS550s up front combined with that big Rocket center channel is really impressive. But you may wish to discount my view, as it is what I own.

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
if u r asking for ht only, then u should look into m&k.
i have seen their 750 system for as low as 2,000 including an upgraded sub.
my friend has the 3 of the s250 speakers in front and the mx350 sub and for ht only, i don't think u can beat them (especially considering that the these r studio speakers).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I will give you my speaker set-up for you to consider -- Paradigm Monitor series -- Monitor 7s,front, CC-370, center, Mini-Monitors, surround, and PW-2200, sub. Give them a "test drive" and hear for yourself.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Definitive Tech Power Monitor 700's for fronts, CLR 2300 Center and their inexpensive surrounds which I believe are the BPV1 or something on that line. They are getting great reviews and are awesome with movies. I currently own the BP 2002 TL's, the 2500 center and the BPVX surrounds. I enjoy both music and movies with this system. Customer service with Def. Tech is outstanding.

Ted

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I am B&W guy myself but as you have probably already figured out there is no single answer to this question. Bring a few home and buy the ones that sound best to you.

Listening in the store, even in the best set up will not sound the same when you get them home. Try then buy :)

Good luck

Thira

Agent
Steve:
I think that the room the Home Theater is going into factors into the choice. Do you have an acouctically sound room? Does the room have a lot of windows? What kind of floor is in the room? What are the walls and ceiling made of?
I am using Monitor Audio silver series speakers and am very satisfied. They are over budget, but Monitor Audio does make a Bronze series speakers more in line with your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks