What's new

Best HDMI dvd player for Fujitsu plasma (1 Viewer)

Hal M

Agent
Had a friend just call me. He bought a new Fujitsu plasma TV. The TV has an upscaler built in that seems to be better than most of the ones that come with some of the newer dvd players. He needs to buy a dvd player that has HDMI output, but that will recognize the upconversion chip in his TV and NOT use the upconversion chip in the dvd player. Hope that makes sense. Anyone have any suggestions I can pass on?

Thanks in advance,

Hal

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you get a player from Oppo, set it to output at the Fujitsu's native resolution and use hdmi, it should be even better than using the TVs upscaling. Not all DVD upscalers are the same, and a good one, like the Oppos, should be better than the TV can accomplish. Your friend has probably only tried poor quality upscaling DVD players.

Hal M

Agent
The reading I've done on the Fujitsu in the past day says that the Fujitsu uses a faroudja chip that's better than most dvd players' upscalers. Mostly stuff I've read on this site. I'll check out the Oppos, however. Thanks.

Does HDMI outputs only come on Hi-Def players and players that do upscaling?

Hal

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Pretty much. Most upscalers support 480p, 720p or 1080i. A few add 768p, 1080p or 480i. If you have a really good deinterlacing circuit, 480i over dvi/hdmi is the way to go.

On the other hand, if your display's native resolution is supported, there are better alternatives to Faroudja-- Reon rings a bell.

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
This brings up a good question.

Whiich upscaler should you use?

I have a Sony KDS-55A2020 TV and a Sony DVPNS75H Single Disc Upscaling DVD Player. Which would provide the best upscaling?

Thank you,
Don

joseph westcott

Second Unit

The best is probably the Denon 5910ci but it probably costs more than your buddy's plasma.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3127.asp

If DVD audio or SACD is not your buddy's cup of tea, then I would probably suggest the new Samsung BD P1200 blue ray player. Uses the Silicon Optix Reon video processor and gets great reviews from Secrets of Home Theater as a standard DVD player too!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

If you buddy is on a self inflicted budget, The Oppo Digital 981HD is the best bang for the buck with HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks