What's new

Best flat panel under 50.2" wide (1 Viewer)

ctg44

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Gent
I am a first-timer here, but spent a ton of time in other forums when looking to buy my first HDTV in 2003. At that time, I got a Mitsubishi 48411 and it is still going strong in 9+ years later. However, I need to get a TV in my study for gaming (the wife hates the kids gaming in the living room) and watching hockey (she hates listening to us cheer / yell in the LR). The Mitsubishi is going in the Study to fill the gaming and hockey role, and I have the green light to replace the living room TV. :D
Our LR has significant daytime lighting, but is dark as the inside of a well at night when we watch most of our weeknight TV. During the weekends, we will occasionally (well, when there is NHL hockey anyway) watch a hockey game during the day. Most of the viewing angles are within 25 degrees of center. My wife's main concern is to get the best buy I can for the budget, which is around $1,000 +/- $100.
However, and this is the biggie, I cannot get anything over 50.2" in total width, and ideally, I would be around 49.5-49.7" wide. The space in which the set has to fit is 50.375 inches, and ideally, I'd have about a 1/4" on each side. I will be wall mounting it on an articulating arm that can get it at least 30" to the front left (as looking at the set) each away from the back wall when extended to the max at about a 45 degree angle for view in the kitchen (with the front right edge still visible).
That alone is a tough criteria to meet, and it's causing me some issues. I have found a few 55" LCDs and numerous 50-51" plasmas that fit the bill. I am totally open to getting either an LCD (LED?) or a plasma, and
Here are some ideas I have so far:
1) Panasonic Viera TC-P50ST50: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752VKW8?ie=UTF8&tag=bestcoverycom-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B00752VKW8 ($998 shipped via Amazon Prime)
2) Vizio M3D550KD: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M3D550KD-55-Inch-Theater-Internet/dp/B007TEE8YO/ref=sr_1_13?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1353378848&sr=1-13 ($1190 shipped via Amazon Prime)
3) Samsung PN51E7000FFXZA: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN51E7000-51-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B0077SZO7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353378983&sr=1-1&keywords=PN51E7000FFXZA ($997 shipped via Amazon Prime)
Ok, so I know all of these have their pluses and minuses, which I've listed below:
1) Panasonic is smaller - 0.8" smaller than the Samsung and 5.1" smaller than the Vizio
2) Vizio has some good reviews and some bad reviews, but seems to have some QA issues.
3) Samsung Plasmas haven't received quite the same number of positive reviews as the Panasonics.
In the end, that almost $1,200 price tag on the Vizio makes it hard to swallow but my wife wants the biggest TV we can fit in the spot, so if you know of something else under or right at 50" wide that has a 55" diagonal screen size, please let me know...I'd like to have this hanging on the wall around Christmas, but I'm willing to pull the trigger earlier if there is a better TV in that price range and size range.
Thanks,
Chris

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Chris!

Welcome to the forum!

I just took possession of the Panasonic Viera TC-P55ST50 and am loving it. So I would cast one vote for the 50" version if you think it will fit properly for you.

HERE'S A LINK to a thread I started on my recent purchase in which some of the more knowledgeable members of the forum steered me toward the Panny Plasma.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know which set you ended up with.

Mike

ctg44

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Gent
Thanks! I had actually read your thread to the end a bit before posting that. I truly wish I had another 1 1/2" in that space, because the 55" would already be en route. It is hard to convince the wife that $1,000 is worth it to move to a TV that's only 2" bigger when we can get 5" bigger screens. She is also worried about the daytime light issues more than I am, because I'll just close all the blinds and curtains if I need it darker, where she's more apt to watch TV with all the blinds open....we'll have to see on this one!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I generally have a fair amount of light in my viewing room (living room) because of my wife and the ST50 performs like a champ. Those black panels and filter louvers must really do the trick.

If it was just me, I would generally have the room much darker when watching the set.

ctg44

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Gent
Excellent. Thanks for the info. I will definitely be leaning that way for the purchase if the wife will sign off on it.

ctg44

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Gent
Just for everyone's comparison data, this seems to be the wife's favorite. If given the choice between this and the 50" Panasonic Plasma, what's your choice for my room setup? Will this one have enough off-angle viewing ability to make its picture look at least as good as my Mistubishi has?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55ES6100-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B007B9PP1C

ctg44

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Gent
Ok. The budget chief overruled and said I had to choose the TLC LED-LCD off of Amazon. She was not at all a fan of the extra $300 for the Panasonic, so we'll try the cheap LCD and if that sucks, maybe then she'll go for the Panny.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The "budget chiefs" usually do have the final say...

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Will be anxious to hear the final verdicts...

ctg44

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Gent
So far so good.
This is what I got (and for $699 instead of $749): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EM7NMA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
It came in today and I got it mounted on the wall. It has about 1/2" on either side of the TV, and the VideoSecu mount I got (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LL5JDA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00) brings it as far out as needed and moves around easily. I didn't get much time to play around with it, and with no real hockey on today, I couldn't really tell if it compared to the old Mitsubishi for that. However, since I'd had all the blinds open and lights on in the living room to install the mount, it was as bright as it will get in there at almost any time, and the TV was plenty bright without any annoying glare or artificial looking picture. Hopefully, it all looks even better when I get to play around with it.
Thanks to everyone for your ideas. I appreciate the feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks