What's new

Best dvd for space Nasa footage? (1 Viewer)

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Hey I was wondering what the best dvd is for footage of the space station and of space missions by nasa in general is?
What has the best PQ ?

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Cool I will check both out!
But I was thinking if there is something newer with anamorphic picture?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I very much doubt there exists anything other than 16mm footage of the original missions, and I can't imagine it'll be anything other than 1.33:1 (aside from cropping it, of course), so the possibility of an anamorphic picture doesn't really apply.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Spacecraft Films doesn't have their entire catalog online anymore. Probably because of their distribution deal with Fox. Try looking for them at dvdempire.com or even Amazon.com. They have quite a few titles.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
As Mark has said (above), you can't buy several of the SpacecraftFilms DVDs direct from their site any longer (for whatever unknown reason that might be)...but some can be found elsewhere.

This is an excellent program (Columbia's last completed flight). :emoji_thumbsup:

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
As Mark has said (above), you can't buy several of the SpacecraftFilms DVDs direct from their site any longer (for whatever unknown reason that might be)...but some can be found elsewhere.
It's not unknown. Spacecraft Films signed a distribution deal with Fox, so Fox now has the rights to distribute the titles in North America. The first four were released in early September, and more will be coming out through Fox in the next few months.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Spacecraft Films signed a distribution deal with Fox, so Fox now has the rights to distribute the titles in North America.
But why, I wonder, couldn't Spacecraft still sell the DVDs themselves (in addition to FOX) on their own website. Surely, the company that owns the video rights can do whatever it wants with its own products. Can't they? :)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The IMAX Space Collection is pretty nice. You get:
Hail Columbia!
Mission to Mir
The Dream Is Alive
Destiny in Space
Blue Planet

All are available individually too I believe.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
But why, I wonder, couldn't Spacecraft still sell the DVDs themselves (in addition to FOX) on their own website. Surely, the company that owns the video rights can do whatever it wants with its own products. Can't they?
Not if it's an exclusive deal. Most makers of products do not sell direct to consumers. They sell to distributors and wholesalers, who sell to retailers.

Anyway, I have all 4 of the first releases on my birthday/holiday wishlist. I still need to pick up the IMAX collection too.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Be aware -- if you're interested in the "Mighty Saturns" series of programs. The first set (Saturn I/IB) has all the Saturn I/IB launches...but all in dead silence. No audio on nearly all of the footage on the 3 discs. I was disappointed by the lack of thundering launch sequences.

Plus: much of the NASA footage on that set is in super slo-mo. Not good IMO. I was wondering, while watching, if the darn thing was EVER gonna clear that tower. :)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I've seen both For All Mankind and Earthlight. For All Mankind is amazing, I highly recommend it. It's actually something I should buy. I wasn't as enthused with Earthlight. If I remember correctly, it's basically a lot of views of the earth from space, set to classical music. I got a bit tired of watching it after awhile, even though the images are very beautiful and the music is good too. I guess I found it a bit repetitive.

Brian

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
For sheer entertainment value I'd recommend From Earth To The Moon - excellent series.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks