What's new

Best Display for under $2K? (1 Viewer)

Mike Busch

Grip
I have amassed some money and and starting to look for the best display/TV I can get for under $2K(US). This unit would need HD as well as widescreen. It will also be used for video games as well.

What is your opinion of the best unit that meets those requirements?

Thanks,
Mike

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Mike, you need to give more info. than that. What size screen do you want minimum? Do you want a RPTV, single tube TV, front projector? You can get a 720p HD projector for less than $1500, the Panasonic 500. There's nothing like watching DVD's or HDTV on a 100" screen or larger. You can read about projectors, reviews, etc. at Projectorcentral.com.

Mike Busch

Grip
Jim screen size is variable. 100" might be a bit much, but I think anything up to a 70" would be great. I'm trying to get as much bang as I can for the buck. In my situation the only real limiting factor, other than money, is space. I have an oddly shaped entertainment room. On the section of that room that I'd perfer to use the depth of the room is only like 10-11'(width being at least 20-25'). The other section has way more depth, but would kind of interfere with the path to the kitchen. So it's not ideal location, but doable.

Other than office projecters I've never owned a front projection setup. So I'm somewhat hesitant on how they work and how user friendly it would be. I already have a nice HT receiver and speakers, so I'd perfer not to pay too much for on board sound system. In the current wide section of the entertainment room, viewing angles could be a major factor. There is also a sliding glass door nearby that makes brightness an issue. As far as rear projection goes, I'm thinking CRTs are out of the running. It would have to be a DLP or LCD unit. I don't know if front projection units suffer the same problems.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks for the help so far Jim.

Mike

p.s. If $2K is not a reasonable bench mark then I can adjust, it will just take me a little time to save.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Mike, a DLP or LCD TV up to 70" is going to cost BIG BUCKS.
If I were you, I would look at a front projector. You can use a 70" screen, the smaller size will make the image that much better and brighter. And they all have zoom lenses, in case you decide later on you want a bigger screen. Does that patio door have blinds or a curtain to block light during day? The room needs to be reasonably dark for a projector to look it's best. I made my own screen, 106" diagonal for $40.00 and I'm very happy with it. I also made my ceiling mount for about $15.00. My Infocus X1 projector cost $799 new. Add in about $100 for misc. cables, and for less than $1000 I have a great setup for DVD's and HDTV. They are very easy to use, and very easy to maintain.
You can read all about projectors at Projectorcentral.com.

Mike Busch

Grip
I was checking out best buy's site and found the Philips 55PL9524S 55" WS HD-Ready LCOS TV with DVI input for $2250. Seems like a reasonable deal. Is LCOS an immerging technology bound to take off? Is there inherant advantages/disadvantages to this technology? From what I've read it seems to meet all my needs and have no real draw backs. Some articles even say this is the technology bound to replace CRT. But so few systems out there have it right now. Is it that new, or is the hype surrounding LCOS not true.

As for front projection. Wouldn't I need a PC to run such a device? Would the shallowness of my room hurt the projectors ability to display a proper image? I'm having trouble believing that a projector is going to out perform a TV. but if I can save money and get a better performer, i'm all for it. I'm new to all this so please forgive my questions if they are stupid.

I do have drapes and can get the room resonably dark during the day. But how will a front projection's picture stack up to the high def TVs that are out there? What are it's advantages/disadvantages compared to a TV like the LCOS philips or an LCD or DLP Tv?

Your being a very big help Jim. I really appreciate your help. I'll be sure to check out the link you suggested.

Mike

Mike Busch

Grip
Is there anywhere that lays out the major differences between front and rear projection screens, the advantages, the disadvantages, etc of both? Pictures of different layouts would be nice.

You have to keep in mind, I'm like most people who have only ever owned standard TVs, or TVs that are a single unit that sits in a room. I'm not used to the idea of a multi peice projector setup. I have visions of the old school front projection units that had those three big bulbs and the picture came out big, but with very little detail. Or even the old high school projectors. :crazy:

Is there anywhere I can go to see how current front projection setups are run? How do they look in a room, how easy are they to use? After the initial setup, is it just a matter of hitting a couple of power buttons to being able to play a video game, watching a DVD, or watching cable TV?

And most importantly, how will the picture compare to that of a rear projection(assuming the same general amount of money spent)?

Thanks,
Mike

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Mike, Projectorcentral.com has a bunch of great articles answering your questions. They also have reviews, projector search function, throw distance calculator, etc. There must be somewhere or someone in your area to view a projector.
I'm not trying to push you into buying a projector, I'm just saying you should check into it. Too bad you don't live near me, I'm thinking of selling my 55" Mitsubishi widescreen, we don't use it much anymore.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I don't know about that Philips set. I heard they were getting out of LCOS. I'm buying a JVC 52" D-ILA which is JVC's version of LCOS and I think it looks better than DLP or LCD. It retails for $3500 but i'm sure it sells for much cheaper on the internet.

Mike Busch

Grip
Hey Jim,

I've been looking through Projectorcentral.com and noticed that the average projector bulb life is 2000-3000 hours. The RPTVs state 10,000+ hours of life. Can you explain the differences between the two and why the fronts don't last seemingly as long?

Thanks,
Mike

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Mike, I don't know, other than they're entirely different technologies. The bulb for my X1 is rated for up to 4000 hours. When it first came out the bulb was rated for up to 3000, then they raised it with the newer ones. I figure I'll upgrade before I even need to buy a bulb.
I probably should have asked this earlier but, will this be your main TV? If it is, you should probably forget about a projector, unless you don't watch a lot of TV. I use mine for 95% DVD's and 5% HDTV. If it wasn't for my kids, I could use mine as our only TV, because I don't watch much TV.

Mike Busch

Grip
Why wouldn't a front projector be good as a regular TV?

This main display will have to pull full duty. DVD, HDTV, Reg Cable, and Playstation. No one aspect being overly dominate over the others. We mix it up here. :)

Mike

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Mike, let me re-phrase that. If you're worried about bulb life hours and bulb cost, you should not get a projector for your ONLY set. Figure out an average week's use and do the math for your bulb's span. If your bulb lasts 3000 hours, and you use projector 5 hours a day, your bulb would last 86 weeks, more than 1.5 years. I don't know what projector you're interested in, or if 5 hours a day is close, so this is just an example. Bulb costs also vary, an average is probably about $275.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks