What's new

best chain-store pizza (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is Mr. Gatti's local to the Dallas area? That's probably my favorite.

Otherwise, I used to really like Little Caesar's. There aren't any around here anymore that I know of.

Don't like most of the rest. I've gotten to where it seems I don't like pizza. I do, but I can't easily find one that's good.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
Have you ever had Crystal's Pizza? I think there used to be one in Irving. It was the best pizza I ever ate. We have Mr. Gatti's in Abilene and Lubbock, but I think Texas is as far as it goes. The one here is really nasty.
Later

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Gatti's - I love the toppings, although I wish their pizza was a little thicker.

Pizz Hut - They're too expensive for my appetite. Every now and then they'll get a great deal.

Little Caesar's - They are the least tastiest, but damn if I'm going to resist a large, single-topping pizza for five bucks.

Domino's - Never ordered from them. I think they overcook everything.

Donato's - Best thin crust pizza I've ever had.

Bearno's - Best thick crust pizza I've ever had. Loads and loads of delicious toppings.

And the Tanachat Dominic Vongvises Best Pizza Award goes to:

La Rosas!!! Best overall IMO.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Papa John's all the way! Yummy!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Ches,
I've had Crystal's, and it's great. It's a little far for me to go there often, but if someone asks me to pick them up at the airport . . . well, they better want pizza! :)
There was a place less than a mile from my house called PizzaMania that was literally the best pizza I ever ate, but the guy changed his formula. He had been shipping in his dough from New York, but he started to make his own. It was nowhere near as good. That on top of his turning the place into a teenage haven by installing tons of video games drove me (and, presumably, others) away. It closed down not long thereafter.
As for Mr. Gatti's, their pizza has a slight sweetness to the tomato sauce that I like. Like any place, if it's bad, it's horrible. Which it seems to be more often than not. But, if you catch them at the right time, it's the best.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Most of the time, it's Pizza Hut. Every so often, I get a cravin' for the thin-crust pepperoni and I gotta go with Domino's on that one. Papa John's is good if you wanna eat it at one sitting as I've found that it's not as good as the others when eaten cold or warmed up for breakfast the next day.

Darren H

Second Unit
Hungry Howie's
They aren't nationwide, but they're all over Florida and a few states in the midwest. I delivered for them as an undergrad at FSU and never got tired of the free food.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Mostly due to the good value they offer, I prefer Papa John's. They always have a decent special and a large Papa John's pizza is truly large.

I used to be a big Godfather's fan. They are all over here since this is their birthplace and headquarters. Sadly, the quality seems to have gone down over the years but occasionally we will still pick one up. We always ask for extra sauce when ordering from them. Their tomato sauce is great but there is never enough of it.

I really have never cared for Pizza Hut but damn, that P'Zone is really freakin' good!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Gatti's is, as far as I know, a Southern chain. And I had one, when road-tripping through that region (and the store was in Nashville, TN): Not bad! The store also had a lunch buffet that I thought was a good deal.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Right now, I prefer Domino's. I would always eat Pizza Hut so I've grown tired of it, although it can taste great like once a year. Papa John's is good, but the only real reason I order it is for the garlic butter sauce.

~T

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
ahh yes, Dome....you fall into the majority of tri-state people who love LaRosa's. Being at school down near Cincy, I have a good friend who is a native. Of course he raved about LaRosa's and he took me out to eat there once. It must be an acquired taste, because after eating LaRosa's pizza, I'd rather eat shoe leather!

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I'm not much into the national chains, but if I had to choose a favorite, I'd go with Pizza Hut (They the ones with the Stuffed Crust?).
Sorry, I've got to mention my favorite local/regional pizza shop: Zelda's. Grrrrrreat pizza, but damn, that place is too darn dark. You'd think mobsters hang out there...
8^B
P.S. I'm hungry... :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Ahh. Thanks, Jack. I tried doing a search for Mr. Gatti's to see if they were national, but I could only find individual Texas franchise web sites and not a centralized web site. It's good to know they go beyond the borders, even if not to all 50 states.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

Papa Johns is the only delivery pizza that I will personally order. By far the best crust and they use very high quality cheese. If I have to eat another delivery pizza I will take a Pizza Hut traditional crust or Dominos. Down with deep dish! I do love the herb/garlic covered breadsticks from Dominos though.

Thanks,

Jeff

Scott_G

Second Unit
I ate a bunch of Mr. Gatti's in College.
They put a lot of provolone cheese on top

Someone was asking about Pizza Inn. There are only a few left in Raleigh, but they are my favorite sit down pizza.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since I mentioned Nashville, Tennessee: Does the Sir Pizza outfit still have any stores in that town? I thought their pies were really good, and I loved the way they cut them into small square-shaped slices.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I saw a really good doco about pizza a few years ago on AMC. Anyone know the name? It might have dealt with hamburgers as well.

It probably wouldn't have a lot of replay value, but I'd buy it if they released it on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks