What's new

Best center channel under $100 (1 Viewer)

sbcaprice305

Auditioning
Real Name
brad
Hello all, as you can tell i'm new here but am in the process of finishing my ht system. Seems the last peice is a center channel. I'm Certaintly an audiophile when it comes to car stereo's and would someday like to be the equivalent in the ht spectrum..

anyways....

Can anyone of you guys suggest a " quality" center for about 100 bucks?

here are some i am considering......6-8 ohm

celestion f35c:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CELESTION-F35C-C...QQcmdZViewItem

celestion f48cbl:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CELESTION-F48CBL...QQcmdZViewItem

Cerwin vega ve5c:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cerwin-Vega-150-...QQcmdZViewItem

Klipsch synergy c2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

pleaase help my ht noobx

SethH

Senior HTF Member
What are your other speakers? The best center channel for you is the one that matches your font speakers as closely as possible.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I second this. You could spend $5000 on a center that sounds great, but if it doesn't timbre match your mains, it will sound lousy in the HT setting.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
When it comes to home theater, the center channel speaker is probably the most important speaker. Over 60% of the sound will be coming out of that speaker. I "third" the other suggestions.

sbcaprice305

Auditioning
Real Name
brad
o boy....it's mixed n matched

reciever is a phillips 5.1

then i have phillip rears and 2 3way 15" towers made by klh for the fronts...i have the phillip fronts but had nowhere to put my 15's so they took its place...( apt)
The center is a sh!tty pioneer that is horrid and extreemly old.

sooooo.....

phillip 5.1 reciever
klh 15" 3 ways for fronts
phillip rears
pioneer center

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You want it to match your fronts. Your receiver is not really relevant to this particular conversation. It's much more important for your front soundstage to match than for the rear to match the front.

sbcaprice305

Auditioning
Real Name
brad

i know, just thought i'd throw it in there..

How would you match your front speakers and your center other then brand?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Brand is the first step. The second step is to try and get the center from the same series or line of speakers as your fronts. The final step, in some cases, is to get a center with identically-sized drivers to your mains -- obviously this final step isn't an option in your case because you're unlikely to find a center channel with 15" woofers :)

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Are you unable to find a center made by KLH? Quite often, even if it's not from the same speaker line/series, a manufacturer's speakers will timbre match very well from one line to another.

Here's a KLH CTR200 that can be found pretty darn cheap from H.H. Gregg. If you'd like something bigger, you can likely find a relatively inexpensiveone on eBay.

This will allow you to timbre match your center as closely as possible to your mains. The reason for this is when sound affects pan from left to right and vice-versa, the sonic characteristics don't change from speaker to speaker or if they do, it is minimal... -TD

sbcaprice305

Auditioning
Real Name
brad

so it would be better to get a real cheap center channel by the same company than to get a good one from another?

hmmm..

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Unless you are going to upgrade all your speakers in the very near future and want to start off with the center, I'd stick with timbre matching the fronts by buying at least from the same company. If you are going to upgrade, the sky is the limit as long as you keep them matched at least across the front.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

With all due respect, the title of your thread states that you want to stay under $100. At that price point you should really just stick with KLH because you aren't going to find a really good center in that price range -- unless you're willing to buy used, but even then it will be tough.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Brad, I'm not so sure you're going to find a "good one" for $100 or less.

Either of the suggested centers will likely do the trick for now, but like Jeff mentioned, unless you're planning on upgrading in the near future and would like to start w/your center, this would be a pretty inexpensive way to "fill the gap" at your noted price point.... -TD

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Since you have mis-matched speakers, you might consider looking into getting matching speakers all around. I suggest you start shopping around and look at different speakers. When you find a brand and model you like, buy that center speaker, first. When funds become available, start buying other speakers of that same brand and model.

I would suggest you look at Paradigm's Performance models. I don't think they have a center speaker as cheap as $100, but they are considered one of the best "bangs for the buck" in speakers. Just another suggestion for your consideration.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
If you hold off for a while and save up some money, you can still pick up a cheap 5.1 setup. This is one place; Fluance There are other brands out there too. I just happen to own a set and I have some friends and family that also ended up buying them when they found out what I paid vs. how they sound. you can do some searching through the forum to find people's thoughts on them, as with any speaker set/brand, there will always be arguments of if they are good or not. There will always be arguments for and against said brands. Let us know what you end up choosing to do.

Dr. G

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron goldner
I have a pair of large, Boston Accoustic front tower speakers and a matching center. The center is upstairs with a pair of bose cubes on the side because space was a consideration and there is so much reflection in the room (hardwood floors, few furnishings or pictures on the wall) that I needed to have more directed sound. The Cubes sound way better upstairs with the projector than the towers did.

Downstairs the tower speakers are by themselves and need a center. Now the dilema, I think I would do best to move the Boston Acoustics center speaker to the basement and match it with the towers, and therefore need a bose center speaker of some kind. Is the Bose VCS 10 center would provide the best sound to match with the cubes. I can't tell you what generation the cubes are. They are unmarked except for the word Bose on the fronts. No red band around them. All black. Is the VCS 10 worth it or would I do better to add simply another cube and use it as the center? Or is there another center I should pick out?

Your insight, thoughts, feedback?

Dr. G.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks