Best Buy best buy?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MannyE, Oct 11, 2004.

1. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

I went to BB today with my little 10% off coupons I got in the mail expecting to come home with a DVD recorder and the SW trilogy DVD set.

I came home with the trilogy and threw away the other little 10% off coupon.

The pickins seemed very slim! BB only had 5 on the shelf. 4 were butt-ugly and one was too much. Then I went to Target and was interested in the Cyberhome CH-1500 DVD recorder, but they were out of stock. Price was right at just $199. No wonder they were all gone!

It was at BB I realized I had no idea what was what and I had to do some research on what models are more desirable, and what to stay away from.

So of course, I thought hometheaterforum!

SO fellas...199 to 250...what am I gonna get? I will be heading off to Brandsmart which I remember had a great selection from Apex to Pioneer and everything in between.

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Manny,

Don't leap into this without pondering at least these few things:

What kind of recording are you looking to do? (TV, Camcorder dubs, etc.)
    Which formats, if any, preferred? (-R/-RW, +R/+RW, RAM)
    Do you need a hard drive? (Greater storage, full editing capability, etc.)

Think good and hard about just these few issues (and a slew of others). You may find your price target is not suited to your purposes.

3. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

First, thanks for the reply and the great advice.

Here's all I expect to be able to do:

1. Download TV shows from my Tivo to DVD that I can view in my DVD player upstairs or in the car for the kids.

That's it.

4. Paul Clarke

Okay...so do you wish to edit the TIVO content before burning? I understand Tivo units do not allow for commercial editing. If this is something you desire then a non-HDD unit which is DVD-RAM capable would fit the bill other considerations aside. However RAM is not compatible with a slew of players on playback so that seems to lead us to a unit with a HDD. Again...this is strictly if you desire to 'clean up' the content before burning. If not...then a simple unit of the type to which you previously referred should suffice.

Either -R or +R will be playable in the greatest variety of players, +R supposedly being the most compatible with older machines. My Tosh's use -R/-RW as well as RAM. Using mainly -R I have yet to have an issue of incompatiblity with a slew of different players of various ages. Your mileage may vary of course. Nowadays incompatible Media speed seems to have a greater chance of screwing things up than DVD format.

Good Luck.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

6. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

No, I do not need to edit outthe commercials.

But the player comaptibility is an issue. I will solve nothing if I do not choose a player whose copies can play in the units I own.

I have noticed that this comes up more with the "faster than real time" recordings. (the player compatibility) So...if I am not considering recording at anything but real time....

If I was going to buy a cheapo recorder, which one would you recommend?

and yes...I AM a Tivo plant... a Hemp Tivo plant.

7. Paul Clarke

8. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

That was a very helpful link! Thank you. It looks like i will be getting that 150 buck player!

9. Paul Clarke

Good Luck...hope it fits the bill.

Tell the rest of the Knights who say Ni!!! I have a shrubbery.

10. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly,... but there is one small problem.

I have re-considered. Taking into account the unpredictability of these players, and the distance I would have to drive to return/exchange it, I will be going to Brandsmart tomorrow or Sunday to purchase something in the same price range...maybe a little more...

Brandsmart is the only store that has a good selection in my area.

11. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Just picked up the DVR-413 from Zenith for 198. Good set of features, butt-ugly, but it seems to work.