What's new
World Wide Stereo

Best Budget HTiB? (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
An acquintance is interested in setting up an HTIB. He has a very limited budget, and so an inexpensive HTiB is his only option. It's that, or nothing. So before anybody posts about how for just a bit more, he can do better... don't bother: I already know that, but it's not an option. 'Nuff said.

He needs speakers, receiver, and DVD player.

I remember a thread from a couple of years ago where Ron (our host) had set up a $400 or so Kenwood HTiB for a friend, and remarked how good it sounded. So, is Kenwood still the best choice here?

Ideally, somebody will be able to recommend an HTiB in the CDN $300 or so range. Hopefully there's something surprisingly not crappy around for that price... :)

Or am I just better off just telling him to hook up his TV up through his ancient boom box?

Thanks!
Martin.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Steve*W

Agent
Try the JVC THB50 ($399.99cdn). Not too bad a sound for a HTiB, and nothing system specific, so he can expand easily down the road.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've generally heard that the only decently-respected HTiB setups is the Kenwood and Onkyo setups.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If it were my choice to make I would go with the (ONKYO 650) and if this option is to much then I would go with the (Kenwood 505). I strongly advise staying away from models with a inboard DVD player. The Onkyo 650 might be to much $$ for your friend but the Kenwood 505 should be fairly close to his budget.> (It still will be a little over though). He could pick up any DVD player at a latter date and be much better off. Both are upgradeable and come with their own powered subwoofer.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Kind of off subject, but he could drop $1000 USD on that Sony "Dream System" they're advertising to death here in the US. (joke)

It's funny when the Dad is showing it off to the daughter's foreign exchange student boyfriend and when he barely touches the speaker, you can see it move.

Bose's Director of Marketing must have moved over to Sony. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks