What's new

Best bang-for-the-buck SACD or DVD-A player? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, for less than $1000, here are a few options, in no particular order:

* Pioneer Elite DV-47A: Plays DVD-Audio discs and SACDs (stereo and multi-channel). It also offers progressive-scan video output. The '47A sells for $1000 or less at most stores and mail-order dealers. Build quality is lackluster at its price point, and some have said that its weak point is SACD playback. Still, it is the only legitimate universal player at present.

* Sony SCD-C555ES: The 'C555ES is a five-disc changer that plays CDs, stereo SACDs, and multi-channel SACDs. It retailed for $1700 when released in April 2001, but the retail price now is $800, and discount, authorized mail-order dealers sell it for around $600. Build quality is outstanding, as is audio performance for the money. The 'C555ES is a steal for $600.

* Sony SCD-C222ES: The 'C222ES is a step-down version of the 'C555ES. It retails for $500, but J&R Music World, an authorized Sony mail-order dealer, sells it for $380. Build quality and performance are not as good as is offered by the 'C555ES, but the 'C222ES is a solid buy.

* Panasonic DVD-RP91: The 'RP91 is a single-disc progressive-scan DVD-Audio player. If you search this board, you will see that the 'RP91 is very highly regarded for its progressive-scan capabilities. Audio performance (CD and DVD-Audio) is good, but not great. All in all, for around $500, the 'RP91 is a good performer.

* Denon DVD-1600: The '1600 is a single-disc progressive-scan DVD-Audio player that is based on the Panasonic DVD-RP56 (progressive-scan player without DVD-Audio). The '1600 gets high marks for video and audio. It sells for $500, but since it is based on a budget Panasonic player, it lacks a coaxial digital output, which is disturbing given the $500 price tag. Still, if I were in your position, I would give it a test drive.

If I were in the position to buy a new CD player for under $1000 and also wanted to get one of the high-resolution formats, I would choose the Sony 'C555ES. It is a steal right now. I've actually chosen the 'C555ES twice. I have one in each of two stereo systems. It is a killer player for the money.

Aaren

Auditioning
JVC XV-SA70BK (or 75GD, gold colored version). plays DVD-A, has prog scan, MP3's. Crutchfield has 'em for $199 on sale right now. I'm thinking about getting one.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
For DVD-A, and pretty damned good DVD-Video, you could also consider the Kenwood DV-5700 ---

It has superb video, and very good DVD-A. It's a changer, and can have a slow layer change on some DVD-V titles.

Both visual and sonic performance are up there.

List price is US$1200, but I think it's streeting in the vicinity of US$950.

Regards,

Chip E

Screenwriter
"If I were in the position to buy a new CD player for under $1000 and also wanted to get one of the high-resolution formats, I would choose the Sony 'C555ES."
Naaaa, really Keith!
I woulda never guessed hehehe... :)
BTW Ryan,
i've got the 555ES and an RP-91. I use the 555 a helluva lot more... great player in every aspect. It ain't leave'n my rack anytime soon, that's for sure.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip,
Yeah, I kinda like the 'C555ES. I am still wondering if Sony is going to replace it with a worthy successor this year. I'm waiting for an SCD-C9000ES, which would be my dream SACD changer. It would have a gold chassis and look really slick. Of course, it would weigh in at a minimum of 40 lbs. Then it would have to convert PCM from CDs to DSD. Yeah, that would be pretty cool. Price: your soul. :)
John,
I didn't mention the Kenwood changer because I thought it still sold for $1200. That's why I didn't mention the Denon DVM-4800 either.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
KeithH,

Don't forget the optional Firewire interconnect to the pre/pro...

-Aaron

ReggieW

Screenwriter
John and everyone,

The MSRP of the Kenwood DVD-A changer has dropped to 799.00!!! this means that you can probably get it in the 600.00-700.00 range if you look hard enough. Like the Sony 555es, this is a player that originally sold in the 1,700.00 range when it was first released. I have heard much praise for the Kenwood, and many experts like John and others I've spoken with, seem to be VERY impressed with its performance on DVD-A, CD's, and DVD-Video (It has a Faroudja DCDI chip with no chroma bug). I do have enough DVD-A titles to justify the purchase of a carousel, but I just don't know...had my sights set on the Denon 1600, but may reconsider because of the price drop on the Kenwood.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,
Yeah, that would be nice. I was going to mention a digital output for SACD, but then I would have had to come up with a model number for my dream outboard DSD DAC. ;)
Reggie,
Crutchfield now sells the '5700 for $800. Do you know of any authorized dealers that sell it for less? I have not been to a Tweeter store in awhile, but I would not expect them to be cheaper than Crutchfield. Tweeter is cheaper on the Sony 'S9000ES, but that is unusual. Anyway, it is not easy to find good deals on Kenwood Sovereign components through authorized dealers.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I am intrigued by the prospects of getting the '5700 for $600. I just don't know of an authorized dealer that has it for so little.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

I know of no one selling it that low myself.

If Kenwood had released this player as a single disc only unit, I would have been quite happy.....

Regards,

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Keith,

The kenwood appears to be just what you've been looking for - very good DVD-A playback, a good picture, and no chroma bug!

Doug

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith & John,

I guess since the price drop just occured, it probably will take a few weeks for e-tailers to adjust their prices/stock to reflect this. I have actually encountered flack from authorized dealers in the past when price drops are done (i.e., they don't want to lower the unit a few hundred). Case and point, there is a local authorized Sony Dealer near me who refuses to let the SCD-CE775 go for under 249.00. I told him that J&R and about a dozen other authorized dealers had them for under 200.00, and he said there's no way in hell he could ever match them, eventhough he told me he price matched other authorized dealers when I entered the store. Perhaps someone will waltz in and give him what he wants, but the prospect is slim with other authorized dealers besting him (not to mention that this dealer is two blocks from a Circuit City who carries it for under 200.00). I guess what I'm saying is that maybe the Kenwood Sovereign dealers had to pay 500.00 per unit when the msrp was 1,200.00, and just don't want to sell them for 799.00. At least this is what I think.

Reg

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
I will second the recommendation for the Kenwood 5700. The video is fabulous, and signficiantly better than just about every other player I have had in here. The Denon 1600 is nice and comes about to about 75% in picture quality, about 95% on redbook CD's, about 75% of DVD-A when compared to the Kenwood. With the price drop on the Kenwood, it is an absolute steal... The only other players that come close for picture quality have been the RP91, but the de-interlacing artifacts can be annoying, and the Philips Faroudja units which come to about 90% of the quality of the Kenwood. If you want SACD and good video quality, consider the upcoming 962 (I have not seen or heard this particular unit).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,

I already have a single-disc DVD-Audio player and wouldn't mind a changer.

Doug,

Yeah, the '5700 could be it. I wonder how its audio capabilities compare to the Denon DVD-3800. The '3800 still looks like a great component, but it has the chroma bug. Although I've seen the '5700 at Tweeter a number of times, I haven't seen it in awhile and I don't recall what I thought of the build quality.

Reggie,

I am guessing that Tweeter will have the '5700 for $800. Crutchfield has it for $800, so I could see Tweeter dropping down to that price. I'll have to amble into a Tweeter store to see. Tweeter can be a bit slow to post price cuts. It took the stores in my area quite awhile to post $800 for the Sony SCD-C555ES. Most stores still had it priced at $1200 for a month or so after the price drop, and one had it priced at $1700. Maybe their computer system is updated and they are just slow to change those price cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks