What's new

Best bang-for-the-buck SACD or DVD-A player? (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Guys,

Just received an e-mail from Oade brothers. They are offering the Sony SCD-C222es for 325.00 DELIVERED! J&R still has them listed for 380.00 minus shipping. I don't know if J&R can match Oade on this, but I will be calling them in the morning just to make certain. If not, then Oade Brothers it is.

Reggie

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, $325 delivered?! Wow! That's some deal! If you do get the 'C222ES, let us know how you like it. What are you using for CDs currently?

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
:eek:$325!?!?!?!?! Thats rediculous! Why must temptation be so swift and effective?
My big beef with the Sony SACD players isn't the SACD bass management but rather that there is none for redbook... I need to get an ICBM before I get another SACD player.
Life is so full of toys and so not full of money. *sigh* :)
-Aaron

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

Sadly, I am using a JVC XL-FZ258 as a current cd transport. It is connected optically to the Denon 1802, so it actually sounds quite good. However, I am glad you asked this question because I now have a problem; I a replacing the JVC with the Denon DCM-370 next week, which I believe you have for redbook playback. I will connect this via analog, since I believe the the DCM-370 DAC's will likely be better than those in the 1802, not to mention the availability of HDCD decoding in the 370. My other problem is that I was only going to use the 222es for two-channel only, since the 5.1 inputs were being use for DVD-A. Since I only have one jack in back of the 1802 for CD, I couldn't use both the 222es and DCM-370 via the CD jacks, and as stated, I don't want to use the coaxial output on the 370, as this will of course utilize the 1802 DAC's. I know one option is to buy the switchers you speak of at Radio Shack, but I will wait to see if the 3803/4803 has extra 5.1 analogs in back beofre i go this route. Any ideas? could I maybe plug the DCM-370 into the phono or tape deck jacks in the 1802 since I will be using the CD jack for the 222es? Just curious.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, first off all, do you think you will need both changers? Yeah, I know. Look who's talking! :D Seriously though, when you get both players, do a comparison. You might find that the 'C222ES will meet all you needs. You could try the 'C222ES with both the coaxial digital output and analog outputs for CD playback and see which mode sounds better to you. The 'C222ES has good DACs, but it is worth doing the comparison. I think you could very well find the 'C222ES better than the '370 such that you will keep just the former.
If you decide to keep both players, definitely try the '370 via the coaxial digital output. It is true that you would lose HDCD decoding (not a big deal to me), but you should try the DACs in the '1802. It never hurts to try.
Sorry, but it makes no sense to deprive yourself of multi-channel SACD just because your receiver has one set of 5.1-channel inputs. Get yourself two of those Radio Shack switch boxes (part number 15-1952) for $30. You don't know what the new Denon receivers will offer, and they won't be out for awhile. The switch boxes would be worth having to experience multi-channel SACD now.
In the end, whether you keep the '370 and 'C222ES or just the 'C222ES, you will be much better off than you are with the JVC changer. Let us know how the two players work out and the results of a face-off between them.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, one more thing. If you decide to keep both the '370 and 'C222ES and go with the analog outputs with the '370, do not use the phono inputs on the '1802. The voltage of the phono inputs is different than that for the rest of the stereo analog inputs. Consults the specs. page in the owner's manual for the '1802 to see what I am talking about. The phono inputs should only be used for a turntable. The remaining stereo analog inputs can be used for any stereo source.

Am I correct in assuming that the '1802 has an analog bypass mode for the stereo analog inputs? The 5.1-channel inputs engage analog bypass by default, but hopefully you have analog bypass for the stereo analog inputs.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

I think you have a point there. Since I will be picking up the Kenwood 5700 carousel next month for DVD-A/video, there will really be no need for THREE CHANGERS in my single apartment! I think I'll put the DCM-370 on the back burner, and use the 222es for redbook and SACD. When I move later in the year, THEN I'll consider the 100 disc megachangers from Sony or Denon (Denon has an outstanding unit, the DCM-5000, but it has a 1,700.00 msrp). I will consult Adam, a co-worker of mine whom you gave advice to regarding the multi-channel switchers a few weeks ago when he purchased his 555es. I had my sights set on the Denon 1600, but I have heard stellar things regarding the Kenwood's performance with DVD-A and video playback. Sure, it's a changer, but for some reason, Kenwood never made a single disc version of this unit. I have about 15 DVD-A's now, so needless to say, the changer wil be full.

Reg

JaleelK

Second Unit
probably less than a grand?
I wouldn't spend more than $300 on an SACD player at this time. I think the format is shaky and might ultimately lose out to DVD-A. If you are going to get a SACD player, buy one that's capable on playing DVD-V that way if the format crash and burns, you still have video player. As for DVD-A, if you purchase a player, it will usually be a progressive scan DVD video player as well, so you should be willing to spend a more to get a quality DVD-A player. I think DVD-A offer more bang for the buck than SACD, unless you purchase one of the Sony DVD-V players that also play SACD's.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Jaleel,

People that know me realize my preference for DVD-A over SACD. That being said.....

Should SACD fold as a consumer format, it doesn't negate the SACD players ability to playback existing titles, nor its ability to playback redbook CDs. So the DVD-V option is IMO nice but not necessarily required. For a cheap entry into the format, I think the SCD-CE775 would do the trick, at around US$200. Of course the sky's the limit, with transport/DAC combos from Accuphase and dCS.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jaleel said:

I wouldn't spend more than $300 on an SACD player at this time. I think the format is shaky and might ultimately lose out to DVD-A.
Last time I checked, the CD format was pretty well established. You can buy a Sony SCD-CE775 for $180 or a Sony SCD-C555ES for $600. The 'C555ES is a much better CD player.

Reggie,

I think you will be very happy with the 'C222ES for SACD and CD duties. The Kenwood '5700 looks to be an excellent choice for DVD-Audio and DVD-Video. Let us know how the 'C222ES and '5700 work out if you decide to get them.

JaleelK

Second Unit
Should SACD fold as a consumer format, it doesn't negate the SACD players ability to playback existing titles, nor its ability to playback redbook CDs. So the DVD-V option is IMO nice but not necessarily required. For a cheap entry into the format, I think the SCD-CE775 would do the trick, at around US$200. Of course the sky's the limit, with transport/DAC combos from Accuphase and dCS.
I suppose he could purchase a $200 SACD, I wouldn't recommend the SCD-CE775, not because its bad player, I don't like how it functions, no power on/off button on the remote(I like laying in my bed when I listen to music and I don't want to get up to turn it off),the way the bass management works is kind quirky to me, no onscreen menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks